Tao te ching

sf in the various audio media, from The Shadow to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to the Harry Potter audio books to Dark Shadows, Return to Collinwood.

Moderator: Moderators

Tao te ching

Postby Brightonian » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:06 am

Not exactly SF maybe, but I've been listening to UKL's reading of her own version of this Chinese classic. Not a translation exactly as she has never learned the original language, but composed with the aid of existing translations and Pauls Carus's literal gloss of the Chinese text. I just wonder, given how important this book has been to her in the course of her life, if she now regrets not having made the investment of studying Ancient Chinese? As a linguist, I'm well aware that translations can sometimes be a barrier to understanding rather than an aid.
Brightonian

Re: Tao te ching

Postby admin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:53 am

I've read three different translations of the Tao, but thanks for telling me about Ursula LeGuin's "translation". I'll almost certainly give it a try, though I prefer her fiction to her poetry.

"The way that can be traveled is not the true way. The word that can be spoken is not the true word."
admin
Site Admin

Return to sf aloud