'Last Night on Mars': Futuristic, sci-fi action adventure

Many of you who visit sfsite are writers or want to be writers. This forum is to share tips about open markets, links to stories you would like critiqued, and any other posts on the subject of writing and selling science fiction.

Moderator: Moderators

'Last Night on Mars': Futuristic, sci-fi action adventure

Postby ChristianH » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 am

Hello SFSite members,

I'd like to introduce my new novel 'Last Night on Mars.'

The idea took form about a decade ago. After many fits and starts, it's finally a cool and intriguing (or so I've been told...) novel.

Set in a very plausible future that sees humanity colonising Mars and also building orbiting space stations/buildings in which people live, it's a futuristic action adventure with suspense.

The plot, characters and situations are wrapped in a scenario that is true to the genre, but not cliche.

Here's the synopsis:
It’s the 22nd century and life’s good.

Stefan Cooper owns a plush condo in the orbiting space towers, has a lucrative job on the moon and a hot date with the beautiful and intriguing Angelique.

Things don’t always go according to plan as a shocking act of violence turns everything upside down.

Unable to turn back, Stefan finds himself in the midst of a high stakes struggle which begins on the colony of Mars.

What happens on the red planet pits him against a powerful and vengeful figure. Racing against time and his new enemy, Stefan’s only hope is a shadowy ally.

Even though the odds are stacked against him, giving up was never an option.

Will he survive, or will this be his 'Last Night on Mars'?

The book's currently available as an eBook from the following places (updated). It's an easy read at a very, very nice price, but by no means an IQ lowering experience.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/last-n ... 6745?mt=11
https://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/chris ... 0000872607
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/last-ni ... 1624882012
http://www.eBookPie.com (all eReaders )
http://www.kobo.com
http://www.theCopia.com

Free chapter excerpts are available on the web site http://www.lastnightseries.com

The first few chapters can be sampled in their entirety, for free, on http://www.goodreads.com

Thank you,

Christian
Last edited by ChristianH on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ChristianH

Re: 'Last Night on Mars': Futuristic, sci-fi action adventure

Postby ChristianH » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:58 pm

I might have a reading either this month or next. It'll probably be a massive disaster since I speak a mile a minute.
Maybe I can find someone else to read it for me...
http://lastnightseries.com/
ChristianH

Postby admin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:19 am

I have a good friend who is an author and speaks, as you do, "a mile a minute". He understands that it is a serious handicap for an author, and is seeing a speech therepist. You can change your speech patterns, with professional help. Harlan Ellison tells a story about giving a talk to a college audience and when he thought he saw Stan Lee in the crowd. The next college talk, different state, and there is Stan Lee in the audience again. When it happened a third time, Harlan got in touch with Stan and asked what was up. Stan Lee said, "I'm learning how to talk to college students." If even Stan Lee can learn better public speaking, so can you.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ChristianH » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:45 am

admin wrote:I have a good friend who is an author and speaks, as you do, "a mile a minute". He understands that it is a serious handicap for an author, and is seeing a speech therepist. You can change your speech patterns, with professional help. Harlan Ellison tells a story about giving a talk to a college audience and when he thought he saw Stan Lee in the crowd. The next college talk, different state, and there is Stan Lee in the audience again. When it happened a third time, Harlan got in touch with Stan and asked what was up. Stan Lee said, "I'm learning how to talk to college students." If even Stan Lee can learn better public speaking, so can you.

Thanks for the support. As long as I practise adequately and don't get too nervous I should be fine.
ChristianH

Postby ChristianH » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:23 am

The public reading event might be stressful, but the writing process was fantastic. I guess it can't all be fun and games.

I had a lot fun creating the 22nd century tech used in 'L.N.o.M.' Cutting edge, futuristic stuff (well most of the time anyway..) and still realistic. The year 2173 of 'L.N.o.M' is very interesting.

In the 22nd century, everyone has an M.H.I.A...
ChristianH

Postby ChristianH » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:01 pm

admin wrote:I have a good friend who is an author and speaks, as you do, "a mile a minute". He understands that it is a serious handicap for an author, and is seeing a speech therepist. You can change your speech patterns, with professional help. Harlan Ellison tells a story about giving a talk to a college audience and when he thought he saw Stan Lee in the crowd. The next college talk, different state, and there is Stan Lee in the audience again. When it happened a third time, Harlan got in touch with Stan and asked what was up. Stan Lee said, "I'm learning how to talk to college students." If even Stan Lee can learn better public speaking, so can you.

So it looks like I might have to don a promoters hat to make sure that I actually have people to read to at the reading.
The long, arduous road of a self-published author...
ChristianH

Postby ChristianH » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:12 pm

All of the tech in 'L.N.o.M' is plausible, but certainly very, very advanced (okay I used hyperspace travel as well and that one is still the realm of people like me...).

For example the orbiting habitats (blocks of flats/condominiums) would use a 22nd century method of construction, which is based on how the space stations are currently built. http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=112314781
ChristianH

Postby ChristianH » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:29 pm

Not sure what amazon's playing at. They initially listed the ebook's length at 140 pages and are now displaying it as only containing 62 pages. Pure rubbish!
I contacted them and they gave me a ridiculous answer.
Well I'm one of those who will keep asking until they get an answer that's logical. That's how it's done in the 22nd century...
ChristianH

Postby admin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:04 am

I'm afraid the big players don't answer questions from the little players. That's how it's done in the 21st century. I've tried to get amazon to change incorrect listings in the past, and never gotten a response. That is typical of big corporations. Yes, they're willing to hire a handful of people in India to respond if the customer is willing to pay them, but the people in India are not able to actually do anything. I hope by the 22nd century, people figure out how to trade with one another, and eliminate the middle man.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ChristianH » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:18 pm

admin wrote:I'm afraid the big players don't answer questions from the little players. That's how it's done in the 21st century. I've tried to get amazon to change incorrect listings in the past, and never gotten a response. That is typical of big corporations. Yes, they're willing to hire a handful of people in India to respond if the customer is willing to pay them, but the people in India are not able to actually do anything. I hope by the 22nd century, people figure out how to trade with one another, and eliminate the middle man.

You're right, but I'm going to try to rattle their cage anyway. I'm in America, so I filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau (a usually very effective consumer advocate) and the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC is focused on anti-competitive business practices and what amazon is doing is anti-competitive for ebook only i.e. small authors.

Ha! Yeah, I agree completely. Hopefully things improve by 2173!
ChristianH

Postby ChristianH » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:11 pm

admin wrote:I'm afraid the big players don't answer questions from the little players. That's how it's done in the 21st century. I've tried to get amazon to change incorrect listings in the past, and never gotten a response. That is typical of big corporations. Yes, they're willing to hire a handful of people in India to respond if the customer is willing to pay them, but the people in India are not able to actually do anything. I hope by the 22nd century, people figure out how to trade with one another, and eliminate the middle man.

So, the Amazon saga's been resolved.

I spoke with someone in their KDP group (even though I technically didn't go through KDP, but used a self publishing company - BookBaby) and they offered me two options: remove the incorrect page total, or remove my book from Amazon.

I initially balked at either option as I wanted them to go back to the original displayed total of 140 pages, but after a while I accepted the removal of the incorrect page total. I then got in touch with BookBaby and asked them to coordinate with Amazon to delete the inaccurate info.
Lo and behold, BookBaby said they wouldn't do it and gave an answer (which I thought was a bit dodgy) but objectively was defensible.
In light of that, I have instructed them to remove 'Las Night on Mars' from Amazon. It should be gone in a few days. Obviously still available everywhere else.
When I release the second installment in the 'Last Night' series, it certainly won't be available through Amazon. Done with them...
ChristianH

Return to Writer's Forum