How about swapping books for reviews

Many of you who visit sfsite are writers or want to be writers. This forum is to share tips about open markets, links to stories you would like critiqued, and any other posts on the subject of writing and selling science fiction.

Moderator: Moderators

How about swapping books for reviews

Postby Psimi789 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:06 am

I have found it very difficult to get realistic reviews for new books. I was thinking that some of you might have run into the same problem. How about if we swap books to give each other's work a review. Most of us have the book on some type of word or pdf file so it shouldn't be too hard getting the work to the other person. I would throw in one caveat, just for good manners. If someone does read a book and cannot in good concious give it a good review, I think that should be conveyed to the author in private before ambushing them.

I have written an epic fantasy called Dark Lord Rising. It is a character driven piece, meaning hopefully when you finish the book you will be interested in what happens next to the main characters. It also has its share of magic, monsters and mayhem.

If you are interested, please contact me at Psimi789@aol.com

If you're not sure, here is a site with some exerpts: http://books.google.com/books?id=55dhwh ... er#PPP1,M1
Psimi789

Re: How about swapping books for reviews

Postby Brightonian » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:41 am

Let me just critique your title. First, aren't there enough Dark Lords in fantasy fiction already? Second, it sounds a bit too much like Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series.
Brightonian

Re: How about swapping books for reviews

Postby admin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:25 am

Jumping on the bandwagon is not necessarily a bad thing, commercially. Edmund Hamilton, a successful sf writer in the fifties, discovered that when he put the word "star" in a title, the book sold better. So many of his books have "star" in the title.

On the other hand, it is not fair to ask a reviewer to either give a good review or no review at all. Many reviewers do that, but it is not fair to ask.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Writer's Forum