rejection slips

Many of you who visit sfsite are writers or want to be writers. This forum is to share tips about open markets, links to stories you would like critiqued, and any other posts on the subject of writing and selling science fiction.

Moderator: Moderators

rejection slips

Postby admin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:32 am

When I first started writing, most of my stories came back with form rejections. "We regret that your story does not meet our present needs."

Now that I've sold a few stories, I mostly get written rejection notes. "Thank you for thinking of our magazine. You story is well written, but didn't grab me. Please let us see your next story."

Unfortunately, the written notes, while nicer than the printed form, are really not any more helpful. Can anyone recommend a writers workshop, either live or on line but taught by professional writers or editors?
admin
Site Admin

Re: rejection slips

Postby PaulDayton » Wed May 26, 2010 9:22 am

Sluhpile reader is ok, but has a small group.
Authonomy is much bigger, but there's an eager crowd trying to pursue their own agenda. However, in authonomy, if you type in Fair Critters, you'll become part of a critique circle which has helped me to improve my own two books, We've Seen the Enemy. Expect to give as much or more than you receive, and expect tough, raked over the coals criticism.
PaulDayton

Return to Writer's Forum