Anyone please help with ideas for my SF vampire story, thx

Many of you who visit sfsite are writers or want to be writers. This forum is to share tips about open markets, links to stories you would like critiqued, and any other posts on the subject of writing and selling science fiction.

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone please help with ideas for my SF vampire story, thx

Postby bitterswet_symphony » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:19 pm

I’m writing a science-fiction/fantasy story about vampires…it is NOT twilight and its very different…it has an interesting plot that just bursts to me. Now I have no idea how to continue the plot but its too interesting to give up.

The plot involves a group of high-school teens, all with broken households. They meet through normal circumstances (school) (ideas needed for some dramatic entrances of characters) and one or more vampires show up (same age) not long after they meet. Actually the vampires were stalking the group (they were sent by a more evil vampire) to find out some information or get something that actually belongs to the evil vampire or something (IDEAS SERIOUSLY NEEDED HERE).

The evil vamp actually plots the “coincidence meeting” of the group. But what has broken household teens have in common except for painful memories? The broken households issue is essential, but I can’t find a fitting reason. Obviously evil vamp wants to do something with it, but what?

My story is heavy on SF and much less on the fantasy part, that's why I came here. I have ideas about biologically explaining vampires but can't find an explanation for the retractable fangs. In my story there's no such thing as a truly folklore vampire (aversion of garlic, cross, holy water...they're not acceptable because there's no explanation)

And how does the human characters defeat the evil vamp without some major help (not only from the good vamps who are same age?) And also the evil vamp needs some history background. What can I say about that scientifically? Radiation? But vampires exist all over the world...

I really love this plot but I seem so stuck. Can anyone please give ideas for the plot, or help in any way and open up my eyes through suggestions? You’re all terrific if you did finish reading my whole entry. Am I too vague? Please help, I’ll be forever grateful.
bitterswet_symphony

Re: Anyone please help with ideas for my SF vampire story, thx

Postby admin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:58 am

I've been trying to sell a vampire sort story for about a year, now, and the answers I get from editors all say something to this effect: we get dozens of vampire stories every month and are sick of vampires. No vampires, please. The book market may be different, but I doubt it. I've sold stories to Analog and F&SF, among other markets, and I can't place my vampire story, so all I can say to you is, good luck.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Brightonian » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:59 am

To the OP; to be honest I can't really see that you have a plot idea. What you have is a situation, but you don't seem to know how your characters got into that situation, how you're going to get them out of it, or what scary things will happen to them along the way. I think you could do a little more work before asking folk here to flesh out your storylines for you. Oh and if you want to see an example of a "biological" explanation of vampires, check out Richard Matheson's I am Legend (1954).

To the forum: while sorting out some old comics lately, I was reminded that Doc Strange had vanquished vampirism for ever in Dec 1983. So why do people even write vampire stories anymore?
Brightonian

Postby admin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:50 am

Doc Strange vanquished vampirism forever. Right. And Bucky's still dead.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Writer's Forum