Science in Science Fiction blog

Many of you who visit sfsite are writers or want to be writers. This forum is to share tips about open markets, links to stories you would like critiqued, and any other posts on the subject of writing and selling science fiction.

Moderator: Moderators

Science in Science Fiction blog

Postby the thunder child » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:24 am

I've started a new blog called Science and Sanity, in which I discuss my researches into things of interest I find while reading science fiction.

For example I just read a short story called Procreation that piqued my interest about rainddrops. Did a google search and found out a couple of things I didn't know - raindrops don't fall in the form of a tear drop but rather as a disc, and, a rainddrop can't form unless it has something to 'seed' it, a speck of dust, bacterium, etc.

Well, the blog's brand new. I've put up 3 entries so far, and hope to do at least one entry a day.

Please check it out:

http://thethunderchild.blogspot.com/

I'd be interested in your comments both asthetically and content-wise. Currently it's white print on black backround. Should I change it to black on white? White on blue?

Content-wise, is this kind of thing of interest to people? I always read for education as well as entertainment. If I come across a reference to something I don't know - a word, a phrase, a person's name - I don't just slide through it and understand it through the context of what I'm reading, I actually look it up to make sure I do understand. I find out a lot of iteresting things that way.

Anyway, hope you'll take a look and give me some feedback. Thanks.
the thunder child

Postby IsomorphicReflection » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:05 am

I agree with you, I have always said there is no excuse for ignorance on the internet. You would be amazed at the strange arguments or heated discussions I have had with people in various chat rooms or forums about things that would take two seconds too actually google and find out about. I met an amazing canadian who insisted that canada wasn't part of the commonwealth, even when given webpages proving it, he would not accept it.

I always look up interesting facts I come across in books and have amazing general knowledge on all sorts of "little bits of rubbish". Nothing turns me off an author faster then poor research of the facts.
"We elves are apt to go mad - wonderfully, gloriously mad, but mad all the same" Elderst, Christopher Paolini
IsomorphicReflection

canadians

Postby admin » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:41 am

Some people just hate to admit that they are wrong.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Writer's Forum