C. S. Lewis

Religion plays a large part in the lives of most people. What role, if any, does religion play in science fiction?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: C. S. Lewis

Postby admin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:51 am

Where is everybody? Maybe there is a scientific discovery not far down the road from the discovery of the scientific method (in geological time) that wipes everybody out. But, as Openheimer knew, if it is possible, somebody will do it.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Brightonian » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:24 am

admin wrote:Where is everybody? Maybe there is a scientific discovery not far down the road from the discovery of the scientific method (in geological time) that wipes everybody out. But, as Openheimer knew, if it is possible, somebody will do it.
Where is everybody? Well I'm just back from my Greek vacation, treading the same streets where Socrates once pursued the quest for truth. Anyone who hasn't seen the new Acropolis Museum should start making plans to visit Athens at least once in your life.

On your closing remark - some would say if it is possible, then someone has already done it on some branch of the multiverse ...
Brightonian

Postby admin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:29 am

I've never bought into the "multiverse" idea. It violates conservation of mass/energy, which is one of our most fundamental laws of nature. It's fine for science fiction, but my best bet is that we only have one reality, and we'd better take good care of it.
admin
Site Admin

Postby catthom » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Sigh, I'm rather fond of the multiverse idea- however, I think contiguous rather than parallel may be more possible. I do think it a bit anthropocentric to think that there is only one universe. Of course I'm just an artist (with a long past history in the medical field), and theoretical physics is only something I've dealt with in the most superficial sense.
Of course, I rather despise most parallel universe/history types of science fiction no matter what species of physics is used to explain the effect. No, not all, but most. OK, A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury would be an exception. And, of course the idea of cyberspace as a parallel world (or metaverse)- I like cyberpunk, so I must like that particular use of the idea.
catthom

Postby admin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:56 am

As an artist, you might be interested in a post about science fiction magazines in the science fiction thread.
admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Religion in Science Fiction