Book within a book within a book

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Book within a book within a book

Postby rickrei » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:46 pm

A friend told me about the background for two series of books many years ago. I believe it was sf.

The history goes...

Real Author1 wrote a series where continuing character1 likes to read a series of fictional books about fictional character2 by fictional author1.

Real Author2 gets permission to write as fictional author1 only one of these fictional books.

Real author2 has fictional character2 reading a series of fictional books on fictional character3 by fictional author2.

Real Author2 goes on to write books on fictional character3 by fictional author2 making Real author1 mad.

Does this ring any bells?

Thanks for any help.
rickrei

Postby rickoic » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:47 pm

Sounds a lot like A. Bertram Chander in his later books of the John Grimes series. Think its 'The Dark Dimensions' were he looks over the shoulder of the author and talks him into continuing writing the story or some such.

But then this is a character talking to the writer and not writer to writer.

Rick
Like listening to old SciFi on audio books. Turn them into MP3 files and use my Creative Zen Xtra to listen to them in the car, or while waiting while my wife is shopping.
rickoic

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.