Maybe someone can suggest some titles....

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Maybe someone can suggest some titles....

Postby nevemore2782 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:33 am

I know this is kinda related to my last post, and guys - forgive me if my questions kinda stray away from traditional scifi/fantasy, but maybe someone knows some titles for some indiana jones/tomb raider type adventure novels? and of course they can have a supernatural/occult/science fiction slant....closest i can find are some james rollins books, maybe some clive cussler and douglas preston books as well....but somethings more.... I don't know...pulpy or fantastic!! It can be undead tombs or Alien created temples in lost jungles! Thanks in advance guys!
nevemore2782

Jones

Postby admin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:19 am

I guess you know that the Young Indiana Jones tv series is coming out on DVD. The first two sets are already available, the third will be out in April.

I remember being not too impressed by these when they first came out, because I was comparing them to the movies. This time around, I'm enjoying them quite a lot. They are imaginative and intelligent, though somewhat slanted toward children.

I tend to enjoy children's books. Among my favorite titles are the Heinlein juveniles, Asimov's Lucky Star books, Clarke's Islands in the Sky and Dolphin Reef. and the classics, Kidnapped, Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, Kim.

One series of books for teen-agers that has an Indiana Jones feel to it is the Rick Brant series. They are out of print, but I think you can pick up the first ten or so on ebay or amazon without too much trouble.

And I just finished a teen book by Patrick O'Brien, The Road to Samarkand. Not part of a series, but excellent exotic adventure.

If you enjoy comic books, there are a number of good comics about Indiana Jones by Dan Barry. (Most Indiana Jones comics are not worth reading.) And I think George Lucas has said that the idea of Indiana Jones came in part from the classic comic strip Terry and the Pirates, by Milton Caniff, which has been reprinted. The early years are in print.

Don't judge Terry and the Pirates by the first stories. It took about a year for Caniff to learn how to write and draw. After that, it's great.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.