Short story Time travel refugees and future horrors

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Short story Time travel refugees and future horrors

Postby cannon » Wed May 21, 2008 5:55 pm

I'm looking for the name of a short story I read awhile back. It was from the point of view of a person in the present talking about a wave of refugees that began appearing from the future. It talked of these refugees appearing in small numbers at first and the world taking great interest in their horror stories of a future ruled by a small elite that had complete control over everyone. These elites used this control to conduct sadistic experiments/games. I think one example given mentioned that the elites somehow made parents torture their child for unknown reasons.

Anyway as the number of these refugees increased, they overwhelmed the resources available to care for them so they were put in camps where they began living in the horrible social system they had from the future. I remember something about a pit fight involving rats. Eventually the main character learns that some of the sadistic future elites came through time as well and are manipulating events and using the camps.

I may have mixed up a few things but I think that is close to the outline of the story. Please help with a name. I think that there may have been other stories or novels written about this universe. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
cannon

Postby admin » Thu May 22, 2008 7:49 am

I remember a story that is a little bit like that. Thousands of people start coming up out of the ground, and nobody knows what to do with them. It was a satire of the attempts to cope with the Jews released from concentration campes, and was titled either DP or Displaced Person. I think it was by Fritz Leiber, or maybe Jack Vance.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Short story Time travel refugees and future horrors

Postby cannon » Sat May 31, 2008 2:18 pm

I ordered a collection of stories that contains the story title you suggested so I should know shortly whether that is the right title or not. However, I'm not hopeful since some research on where that short story has been published makes me think that it isn't one that I've read before. Anyway thanks for the response.
cannon

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.