Story about super secret Collider and "hole" to another.....

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Story about super secret Collider and "hole" to another.....

Postby HoosierDaddy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 am

There are at least two books, now possibly three out now from this author.

The premise is, the government built a super-secret super collider in the desert, buried underground, and on the operation of it a "hole" was opened to somewhere else. Random things drop out of this hole. One might be something that looks like half a dish rag, but it weighs twenty tons, but has no other intrinsic values than being REALLY heavy. Another item was a something they called a "doubler". If memory serves, it's kind of like a glorified wand, you point it at something inanimate and it makes more of that inanimate object out of thin air. The crux of the most recent book had to do with flashlight looking device that opened a hole in time to earth, twenty of thirty years into the future. Thru this "hole" you could actually step thru and take the device with you. Was part of unraveling a plot to have humanity destroy itself, very intense!

I thought the entire premise was fantastic and held great promise, even had a brief email exchange with the author (yes, I did somehow lose the email!) but sadly he was going to wrap up the series in the third book, which hopefully is out now.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you folks can provide!
Best regards,
Paul
HoosierDaddy

Re: Story about super secret Collider and "hole" to another.....

Postby admin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:14 am

It sounds a little big like Einstein's Bridge by John Cramer, but not exactly, and I don't think Einstein's Bridge had any sequels. It also sounds a little bit like a Captain Video serial I saw back in the early 1950s, where Captain Video and Ranger are on a strange space station where a computer makes things, but nobody knows what it will make next, because nobody speaks the alien language.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Persephone » Mon May 21, 2012 8:49 am

I hope I am not too late in this posting. Just in case you have not found what you are looking for, try Patrick Lee's The Breach. Can't remember the exact events from the book since I read it about a year ago but what you wrote sounds awfully close to it. And there are 3 books out in the series.
Persephone

Postby HoosierDaddy » Thu May 24, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi all, thanks for the feedback and yes to the latest post, it is Patrick Lee's "the breach" book that I was looking for. Many thanks!
HoosierDaddy

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.