Killer Rocks?

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Killer Rocks?

Postby Solo » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:43 pm

Hello everyone, my quest is about the title of an "old" sci-fi movie, say about 1980, in which a spaceship picks up an emergency beacon with a message NOT to travel to this planet on which another spaceship has crash-landed. This they do of course, and although a laser fence has been set up, they are soon all killed by these rock-looking creatures which crush the people and suck their life out of them. I'm fairly sure this was not a bad dream... hope someone can help me.

Thanks,
Solo@aviatormail.zzn.com
Solo

Postby rcgorman » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:49 am

The name will come to me...probably in the middle of the night two weeks from now....but I can contribute that there was a movie made from this book. Also, there was a beautiful daughter (of a deranged scientist) and...it think a robot.
rcgorman

re

Postby John Van Vliet » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:04 pm

Hi ti almost soundes like a episode of "The outer limits"
" I don't pitch Fedora 5 to my freinds , I let Windows do it for me "
http://shatters.net/celestia
John Van Vliet

Getting rocks off.

Postby admin » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:54 pm

Yes! I bet it is the 1964 Outer Limits episode "The Invisible Enemy" written by Jerry Sohl, available on the second season DVD.
admin
Site Admin

van Vogt and killer rocks

Postby SpasmodicusErectus » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:02 am

There is a short story about sentient rocks in a collection by AE van Vogt entitled THE FAR OUT WORLDS OF A.E. van Vogt, published by NEL some 20 or 30 years ago.
SpasmodicusErectus

Killer Rocks

Postby woodwd234 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:59 pm

I remember an episode of Space1999 where something like that happened. These large rock like creatures with one big eye would use tenticles and pull people inside them, they would then suck the life out of them and spit them out looking like a shrunken charred body.

They were investigating a lander/ship that crashed on a planet and all they found would these shrunken charred bodies of the crew. They finally killed the thing when one of them was being sucked in and grapped an axe and hacked the eye out.
woodwd234

Re: Killer Rocks

Postby SoulThief » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:16 am

woodwd234 wrote:I remember an episode of Space1999 where something like that happened. These large rock like creatures with one big eye would use tenticles and pull people inside them, they would then suck the life out of them and spit them out looking like a shrunken charred body.

They were investigating a lander/ship that crashed on a planet and all they found would these shrunken charred bodies of the crew. They finally killed the thing when one of them was being sucked in and grapped an axe and hacked the eye out.

Actually I think that the episode you are referring to is called Dragon's Domain. No planets are mentioned in that episode. Its a kind of sargasso in space, a graveyard of spaceships, that has an aloen (the dragon) living there killing people who enter it. A really good story, and you can find out casting info etc at:

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main ... t23dd.html

ST
SoulThief

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.