Read this over 30 years ago I am thinking

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Read this over 30 years ago I am thinking

Postby Merhlyn » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:08 am

Story starts out with a team drilling in Antartica and finds an advanced city burried under the ice. While evacuating(?) the city they find a spere radiating power and inside the find a woman ( beyond beautifal of course ) and a mand who is severly injured in suspenmded animation. They wake the girl and learn the events leading up to her being their. Can not clearly remember the ending.
Would dearly like to find this book and read it again. Thanks all in advance

Michael McKenzie
Ann Arbor, MI
Merhlyn

Name of the Story

Postby mzdadrvr » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:21 am

This is a very thin title, a French title, the main protaginist is a Frenchman, no surprise there. It is called "The Ice People" and written by Rene Barjavel. At least, that is the title in English. The copyright page lists it originally published as Las Nuit des Temps in 1970.

The team that locates the Sphere is ostensibly international, but even back then you can detect an Anti-AMerican bias in the book, with the main US character on the team depicted as slovenly, and greedy, while the European characters are all generally noble of purpose, and genuine. There is a subplot that echoes the story line from Elea's time (the female lead character from the distant past) of gathering forces that will lead to the destruction of civilization, and there is an implication that the US is one of the plotters of the current tension.

Incidently, I too first read this over 30 years ago, probably from our local library bookmobile.
mzdadrvr

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.