Short story - future underground children?

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Short story - future underground children?

Postby Phanx » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:09 pm

A few years ago I read a short story (at least I think it was a short story; it may have been a "preview" of a novel to come, but was a fairly complete narrative on its own if that's what it was) in the back of a novel. I don't remember the titles or authors of either; the short story concerned children living in a futuristic, dangerous underground world, where the surface was forbidden. The children (perhaps young adults?) eventually climbed to the surface and discovered that it was not a lifeless ruin as the unnamed authorities of the underground world claimed.

I've thought about this story a few times since I've read it, but only recently have started trying to figure out exactly what it was. Any help would be much appreciated!
Phanx

book

Postby hegemon » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:29 am

Sounds like "Dark Universe" by Daniel Galouye. Nominated for a Hugo, but lost to "Stranger in a Strange Land". Heinlein voted for "Dark Universe".
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

Postby Phanx » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:12 pm

Hmm. Thanks for the tip... however, upon reading a few reviews of "Dark Universe," I'm pretty sure it's not the one I'm looking for. The story I read was much more recent, and the underground world wasn't lightless. I seem to recall also (although these may not be completely accurate!) that the main characters, the children, moved around on rollerblades, and had an encounter with homeless people who lived in packs. Any more ideas?
Phanx

Postby Brightonian » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:32 pm

Sounds a little bit like Logan's Run, though it's a very long time since I read that. Though there seems to be a whole sub-genre about people living in underground or totally enclosed cities and being falsely told the outside world is uninhabitable...
Brightonian

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.