Crew is unaware that their 'space voyage' is a simulation...

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Crew is unaware that their 'space voyage' is a simulation...

Postby apgw » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am

Here is the plot; it was written at least 30 years ago, but I don't know the author/title. Any ideas?

In brief: a long space voyage from earth to some star; the psychologist is lively and normal, everyone else, including the main character (MC), is much less so; MC notices an older member always hanging out at one spot in the craft. Later, the older member dies (natural causes). MC investigates the spot, sees a crack in the ship(!) and sees that they are not on a voyage at all but on an airstrip. The project is a simulation of a long voyage, to study its effects; the psychologist has his own escape hatch to the outside world, and is there to observe them. I forget the ending, but that is the essence of the plot.
apgw

Postby Brightonian » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:39 am

Kinsgley Amis once wrote a story with the same premise, but I can't remember whether the details match your description.
Brightonian

Capricorn One?

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:15 pm

This is a long shot but what about "Capricorn One"? Don't know if I ever saw the whole thing but there is a certain thematic similarity. Check it out and let us know...

Postby Bright » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:25 pm

The difference is that the crew Capricorn One know it's a simulation, they just don't find this out until "take off".
Bright

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.