2 Plots, 2 Unknowns

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

2 Plots, 2 Unknowns

Postby Tom Trifik » Fri May 05, 2006 6:58 pm

Both of these stories, (novels?), I read years ago... all I have is the general plots.

Plot #1: Scientist creates a miniature race of intelligent "people" that live their lives at a very accelerated rate. He experiments by exposing them to adversity, floods, famine, wars between each other, etc. Using a powerful Hydraulic Ram our mad scientist starts lowering the "sky" with instructions that the people will be squashed if they don't stop it. They use wood, iron, invent steel, and finally create a force field to stop the sky. Scientist exploits their inventions for personal gain; military gets involved.... Also, was written when Teletypes were in use.

Plot #2: Some guy creates a "machine" that can Duplicate Anything! It is a Very Basic thing. Put item on one side, Push button, Duplicate appears on other side! He Duplicates thousands of his Duplicator and sends them out in pairs to people everywhere. Chaos Ensues, the Economy collapses, (presumably).... Fast Forward to the Future ....Society changes into little clannish "kingdoms" and the major portion of the book deals with this future.

Any Help?
T o m T r i f i k

[& occasionally his Wonder Dog "Manfred,"
but usually just his Fat Cat "Spot"]
Tom Trifik

maybe

Postby admin » Sat May 06, 2006 8:19 am

The first story might be Microcosmic God by Theodore Sturgeon -- it has been a while since I read it, so I'm not certain. The second story sounds like A is for Anything, by Damon Knight. Again, I'm going by memory, so I can't say for sure.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.