driving me bananas...

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

driving me bananas...

Postby filemouse » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:35 pm

... trying to find /remember the title of a very cool futuristic, end-of-world type fiction I read in 1975 (but most likely written in the 60's.)
About a rag-tag group of survivors. At one point they were thrilled when they found some coffee? orange drink? or both.

Very eerie ending where the main guy, now getting elderly? sees young men, riding up on horses? or bikes? and used the expression "as you well know" repeatedly...

It was paperback, the cover was possibly yellow... this isn't much to go on but I do so dearly want to re-read this.

:D Thank you O readers!
filemouse

sounds familiar...

Postby Bill Ectric » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:17 pm

was one of them a prehistoric man, by any chance?
Bill Ectric

Postby spacecat » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:13 am

End of the world, post-apoc stuff is one of my favorite genres. I think I could help you if you had any more details.

But maybe Malevil, by Robert Merle?
(=^._.^=)

I'm trading SF&F books at
Paperbackswap.com

Tell'em spacecat sent you!
spacecat

Postby the17pointscale » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:15 am

i know nothing about filemouse's mysterious orange drink novel, but, spacecat, have you read cormac mccarthy's the road? mccarthy won a National Book Award and National Book Critics Circle Award for some of his previous work. anyway, if you love post-apoc novels i think you'd be very interested in the road. the plot is rather spare, yet mccarthy makes it seem oh so real. it's both frightening and redemptive. i encourage you to check it out.

-andrew
the17pointscale

Postby spacecat » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:50 pm

Thanks for the recommendation Andrew. I read the reviews on Amazon and it does look interesting.
(=^._.^=)

I'm trading SF&F books at
Paperbackswap.com

Tell'em spacecat sent you!
spacecat

Postby Stinky93 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:22 pm

Did you ever figure this one out?

It sounds a little like Earth Abides, if one takes into account that your memory is a little off. But if you are remembering correctly, then I'm wrong.
Stinky93

The Road

Postby admin » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:30 am

I was reluctant to read a downer like The Road, but changed my mind, since I'd enjoyed other books by Cormac McCarthy. I was glad I read it, dispite the relentless dispair. It turned out to be a fast and -- well, not enjoyable exactly, but riviting -- read.

When we destroy the earth, we will put up a billboard that reads "We couldn't help ourselves!"
admin
Site Admin

Postby Al Simms » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:12 am

Filemouse, I may well be too late with these comments but the book you're thinking of does sound very like 'Earth Abides' by George R Stewart (published originally in 1950). As the main character in the story ages, the younger characters, when they tell him anything always add the phrase: ' as you yourself, well know'.
Al Simms

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.