Books and Drugs and Imagination.

At a reader's suggestion, this new forum is open to all kinds of chat, excluding obvious spam.

Books and Drugs and Imagination.

Postby ChrisC » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:04 am

As most people on here know or don't possibly know, I was a big drug user. The list in no particular order?

Cocaine, Speed, Opium, LSD, Ketamine, Mushrooms, DXM, GHB, GBL, Ecstasy, Alcohol erm I think thats about it. Oh and LSA in the form of Baby Woodrose seeds. Ha, who can forget Cannabis (pun, pun).

Anyway, I just want to say I have not taken the above mentioned substances for over two years with the exception of alcohol and cannabis. And have no intention of re-visiting them either, with the exception of alcohol and cannbis. This is due to having a family now.

My point is this. I have been reading lately, a lot. Before my drug use I used to read, although not as much. What I have noticed is since taking these substances, it's as if my imagination has gone into over drive. To me books are like films playing in my mind. Perfectly clear. Clearer than when I used to read them before drug use. Has something changed in my brain, do drugs stimulate a more creative and imaginative side to us. Is the lasting impression permanent. It's just something I have noticed. Or am I completely crazy. Which is possible because I am currently being treated for mild schizophrenia and depression/anxiety. Although quite well on the meds, I must say. Anyway that's just something I've been thinking about.
"We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts."

Buddha in The Dhammapada.

ChrisC

http://www.buddhanet.net/
http://www.ubuntu.com/
ChrisC

Why the Tao is better than drugs

Postby admin » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:39 am

In the seventies there was a lot of science fiction in which the point of view character was on drugs. Often, the drug use wasn't even mentioned, but had to be deduced from the style. Here's my own humble opinion.

Pot -- great but can cause depression and don't drive. Move to Amsterdam.

LSD -- the real thing. Watch your own brain at work.

Cocaine -- makes you totally selfish, if you like that sort of thing.

Speed -- speed kills

Alcohol -- great but can cause depression and don't drive. Move to Tennessee.

Nicotine -- Mr. Butts has a bad rep these days, but this is another drug that is great for totally selfish people. And, what?, do you want to live forever?
admin
Site Admin

Return to Chat