what's your hobby?

At a reader's suggestion, this new forum is open to all kinds of chat, excluding obvious spam.

what's your hobby?

Postby temp » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:23 pm

A post completely unrelated to anything sci fi...just want to say that I have recently developed an appreciation for those that work in the skilled trades.

...Living in Canada, I suspect it's less capitalist then the US, but here too, the wealthiest people are the ones that pursue their masters degree in business, your Wall street
types, big banks, insurance companies, real estate etc. These are the people that get the highest rewards and drive around in their Beemers and Lexus's...but what did they do? What did they actually produce or contribute?
Nothing.

Skilled trades on the other hand...these guys create something. there's an end product that you can see and touch and appreciate, and I have a lot of respect for these guys.

A few summers ago, I built a nice deck in my backyard. Then, I started to finish my basement...put up the drywall, got a book on electrical stuff and figured out how to install and wire a new circuit/lighting/plugs etc.
Learning as I go. The section in my basement is done...now, I'm creating a built-in medicine cabinet into the wall of my bathroom. Next up, the powder room on the main floor could use a new sink and granite countertop...I'll take that on once I find some more cash.

So, while I keep my day job programming computers, I will secretly wish I was a professional contractor. I'm not particularly good at the moment...it's hard work, but satisfying. This is my new hobby. What's your hobby?
temp

Re: what's your hobby?

Postby admin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:28 am

I share your love of skilled work. I would also include gardening and landscaping in that category.

My hobby is comic strips. I have complete runs of Alley Oop, Prince Valiant, Steve Canyon, Terry and the Pirates, Flash Gordon, Lance, Casey Ruggles, and several others, and nearly complete runs of Captain Easy, Pogo, and Peanuts. I publish a comic strip reprint magazine, Comics Revue.
admin
Site Admin

Re: what's your hobby?

Postby HAL Jr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:48 pm

My big hobby is photography ever since I was given a cheap and cheerful instamatic aged about 11! I'm also crazy about plants and trees in particular and hope to catalog the largest/oldest trees in my vicinity and perhaps write a book on them.
Maybe one day....
Would you like a stress pill Dave?
HAL Jr

Return to Chat