Trying to Save the Last Independent SFF bookstore in L.A.

At a reader's suggestion, this new forum is open to all kinds of chat, excluding obvious spam.

Trying to Save the Last Independent SFF bookstore in L.A.

Postby bonniemilani » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:01 pm

I'm normally a lurker on the site, but this is a topic that has just cut to my heart. So let me emphasize up front, that I'm writing just from the heart - I have NO connection with Mystery & Imagination except as a lover of SFF.

We all know that independent bookstores have been decimated by the internet. Here in LA, we're down to just about one - and now a new landlord seems determined to put local legend Mystery & Imagination in Glendale, CA out of business.
For anyone outside of LA, Mystery & Imagination has the largest selection of SFF, Mysteries, & Horror ...just about Anything west of the Mississippi. For any SFF lover IN L.A., it's the place where The Names (think Niven, Pournelle, Bradbury, Harryhausen - & those are just the folk I've met there over the years) stop by for an impromptu chat with customers, or hold signings or readings or off-the-cuff writing lessons. The store owners, Christine & Malcolm Bell, also actively promote authors in the genres they sell. In short, this is a magical place for anyone who loves SFF.

And now they're threatened with being closed down by a new landlord. All they need is for SFF people to...BUY BOOKS. From them. They're a solid on-line presence; if you want to support them, you can order books via their eBay store, or directly from their website, http://www.mysteryandimagination.com

I hope I have not broken any posting rules, and that no one regards this note as spam. It is not in any way intended as such. If I've posted in the wrong forum, please correct me so I can post in the proper place.

Thank you for your time and patience in wading through this.
bonniemilani

Re: Trying to Save the Last Independent SFF bookstore in L.A.

Postby admin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:29 am

I bought a book. It was only a paperback, but I guess every new customer helps. I'll try to buy my books there, instead of from amazon, from time to time.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Trying to Save the Last Independent SFF bookstore in L.A.

Postby Brightonian » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm in the UK so obviously I prefer to support places that are closer to home. But I still mostly buy my books, comics, CDs and DVDs from real people in real shops, in a quixotic campaign to try and stop our city centres turning into something out of a JG Ballard novel, with gangs of feral unemployed youth roaming around vacant, crumbling shopping centres.
Brightonian

Return to Chat