Yet another list ...

My current favorite fantasy comic book is Girl Genius, by Phil Foglio. What's yours?

Moderator: Moderators

Yet another list ...

Postby Brightonian » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:11 am

A site called The Hooded Utilitarian has conducted a poll of cartoonists who were asked to nominate their top 10 cartoon strips/graphic novels/etc. You can see a collated top 115 here: http://hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/08/the-top-115/ and if you root around the site you can find individual contributors' nominations. Peanuts comes top, Watchmen at #4 and the most popular "traditional" super-hero comic is the Fantastic Four at #10. Batman is represented by The Dark Knight Returns and his Kryptonian buddy by All-Star Superman, which comes quite a way down the list, with Mort Weisinger's Superman stories even further down at =100.
Brightonian

Re: Yet another list ...

Postby admin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:56 am

I actually voted on this one. It's a good list, and it is hard to argue against Peanuts as number one, in cultural influence if not necessarily in brilliance. Of course, as with any list, there are things I would change. Nancy!?! And I think Don Rosa should be much higher on the list. But most of the great comics are listed, and if you are looking for classic comics to read, this list is a good place to start.
admin
Site Admin

Return to SF in Comics