Uru

The cake is a lie.

Moderator: Moderators

Uru

Postby Hegemon » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:02 am

Been playing Uru and blaming the game for the problems of my so called brain. Three times now I look up what to do in the walkthrough, thinking the game is at fault, and every time I just wasn't smart enough to figure out the puzzle. This time, I'm stuck in the room with the monster wheel. Round and round goes the monster wheel, and in and out goes the prick of steel. Enough, enough, the maiden cried. At last, at last I'm satisfied. Only I'm not satisfied. I can't figure out what to do with buttons three and four. Don't tell me, ok. The movement system still bites, but I'm going to figure this one out for my self.
Hegemon

Postby xeoncat » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:17 am

Myst games can do that to a human mind :mrgreen:
I stopped playing Uru a long time ago, I couldn't bear the difficultty of some puzzles, maybe I'll restart it someday.
xeoncat

Postby Lucien21 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:40 am

I'm a big fan of adventure games.

Not necessarily the Myst series (although Myst IV was very good)

I never like URU the movement and controls are dreadful making the horrendous jumping sections a major pain in the rear end.
Lucien21

uru movement

Postby hegemon » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:18 am

I keep thinking there has got to be a better way to move in Uru than moving with the keyboard and picking things up with the mouse. I haven't found one. I can move with the mouse, but then the fact that the same command (left click) moves if you are NOT on a specific screen object and acts if you ARE on a specific object makes movement frustrating and picking things up even more so. On the other hand, if I use the keyboard for movement, there does not seem to be any action key. You have to, for example, stand on the power square, use the keyboard to run to the wheel release pedal, and then reach over, grab the mouse, and click, to push the pedal. If you are not in just the right position that click, instead of pushing the pedal, moves you further away from the pedal. If you are in the right position, then you push the pedal, drop the mouse, reach over to the keyboard to run back to the power square before the power piller is completely depressed. If you don't do all that in time, you have to start all over again. Only a sadist could have designed such a system.

I note from the credits that Rand and Robyn Miller don't seem to have had anything to do with Uru. Did they work on Myst IV, (Which is inexplicably called Myst III) or are they out of it?
hegemon

ages and ages hence

Postby hegemon » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:02 am

After being stuck for more than a week in Uru, I made a discovery which, while technically a spoiler, I wish someone had told me before I sat down to play. Unlike all the previous Myst games, in which the ages are independent, you need to go through the Uru ages in the order the books appear on the shelf. If you try to do them out of order, it is impossible.
hegemon

my bad

Postby hegemon » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:28 am

My error. You don't do the books in order. You do the second book first. I still don't know why.

Another thing I don't know. At several points during the game you discover very long, very boring books to read. Do these books contain clues, or are they just deep background?
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

memory

Postby hegemon » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:29 am

Reminds me of the long creation myth in The Neverhood
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

The Neverhood

Postby dimerethiel » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:20 pm

I´ve found this download site for old Neverhood game:
The Neverhood download
dimerethiel

Postby dometone » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:14 pm

I got the myst trilogy on DVD-ROM on Amazon last year, because I remember loving Myst.

Turns out, I still love Myst, and it still holds up against other games in 2006. An achievement.

Also turns out, I'm not smart enought to play Riven without a players manual. :(
dometone

Uru

Postby admin » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:34 pm

I made it through Riven with only a few hints, but I'm still stuck on Uru.
admin
Site Admin

Return to SF in games