Strange short story of 1950s

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Strange short story of 1950s

Postby Rexeng » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:06 am

The hero and heroine are captured and tied up by a mad sciemtist. Mad scientist gives speech about how it was never recorded in history that the mast of sailing ships could first been seen coming over the horizon. Implying that the Earth actually was flat or square because the people of that time believed it was so. The hero says that's solipsism i.e. the belief that nothing exists but one's own conciousness. No. Not exactly right. To prove his point or theory scientist reveals a device which will prove his theory. Nothing more then a household lightbulb painted black. With a near microscopic hole in the paint. Scientist states that "......ionized light stream will create...." something, something"........ and since that can't be...... "something, something"...... the universe will be negated."
Hero gets free and fights scientist but the lightswitch gets flicked and .... ***POOF**.
The hero awakes in a magnificent, misty garden. He calls out and the heroine answers from somewhere. He starts running toward her voice and... "in the air was the seductive scent of apple blossoms." The end.

Title? Author? Anything?
Rexeng

sounds like

Postby admin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:47 pm

Bradbury???
admin
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:22 am

From Rexeng: Found it! For anyone interested it is "The New Reality" by Charles L. Harness. Thrilling Wonder Stories Dec. 1950. 3 hours in the University of Kansas Special Collections on Feb. 10 but I got it. It's actually been reprinted six times in collections. Harness also wrote "Child by Chronos. Thanks.

Postby LexZen » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:43 pm

:) :) :)
LexZen
LexZen

Harness

Postby admin » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:55 am

Charles Harness also wrote one of the greatest of all space operas, Flight into Yesterday.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.