General whinge with friends

The invisible guy in the trailer. Post here if you want to be sure admin reads your post.

Moderator: Moderators

General whinge with friends

Postby SoulThief » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:46 am

No other forum seemed appropriate for me to bemoan aspects of cyber life, so I thought I would share it here with someone who would appreciate the joys of forum administration...

...MY FORUMS HAVE DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Alas, after 6 years of hard work developing a dynamic and active set of forums for my computer gaming community, the WAR forums shuffled off their mortal coil when my web host decided to cease operating without warning. The least my web host could have done was warn customers of their impending doom. But instead they kept taking money til they went under (at least that is how I understand it)

I've arranged some temporary forums and am in the middle of a business deal that might see my community emerge from this bigger and stronger - but still, it is very frustrating and I am worried about the damage that a fortnight or so offline will do :(

Anyway, that's off my chest now.

Thanks for listening

ST
SoulThief

My condolences.

Postby admin » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:58 pm

I know how hard it is to loose something you've worked on for so long. I hope you get the forums up and running again.

And you are of course welcome to post to the gaming thread here, and invite your friends along.

I understand now why you've been too occupied to help me fight spam. In any case, the spam problem seems to have gone away -- for now at least.

Best,
Rick
admin
Site Admin

Postby LexZen » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:47 pm

cool :)
LexZen
LexZen

Postby Silver Arrows » Sat May 27, 2006 4:30 pm

as a web administrator, one thing ive learned: you can never make too many backups. always make backups of your pages and DL a schema of your databases every week or month (depending on how often you update). good luck with getting it all up and running
The least my web host could have done was warn customers of their impending doom.
goodness! im lucky, my web host is very helpful
Silver Arrows

Postby Jackle » Sun May 28, 2006 8:33 pm

I am from the community that SoulThief speaks of. Thats how i found my way here.

We moved to a new home, which was another community and merged as one. This forum had heaps and heaps of downtime, which was not good for us, so we moved to another one. This forum was ok, but didn;t have the same feel as the rest.

Finally, an old member offered us a forum and webpage, and offered to maintain it. so we brought a domain name and now have this forum as our own new home.

http://warclan.org

Feel free to check it out. ST has a written a small bio about us on the main page:

"Welcome all,

WAR is an old and established clan and community, it's origins going back to the Australian HalfLife Deathmatch scene in 2000.

Over the years, as we spread from game to game, we have established a reputation for friendliness and honour. Battle us and you can expect a good fair fight conducted with a laugh, a smile and as much firepower as we can muster. "
Jackle

welcome

Postby admin » Mon May 29, 2006 7:17 pm

You are all welcome to contribute to this forum any time you like, or Soul Thief can set up a forum for you here if he wants to. He has admin authority here.
admin
Site Admin

Return to management