John W. Campbell - Islands In Space

For discussion of issues specific to sfsite.

Moderator: Moderators

John W. Campbell - Islands In Space

Postby SaintLucifer » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:09 pm

I have read a book written in the 1930s by one John W. Campbell entitled '<b>Islands In Space</b>'. The book was so old it listed it's sale price as 40 cents (this edition was printed in the 1950s). A damn shame that my idiotic parents threw the goddamn book out as it would have been worth a lot of money today on E-bay. No matter as I more than likely would have kept it for a long time. It was in fair condition.
I would suggest anyone who can find a copy of this book read it and perhaps contact me. I should like a copy of this book. If the copy you obtain was printed in the 1950s, please be advised it is worthless so contact me immediately (heh, heh wink wink).
The story is excellent and deals with science from a 1930s perspective. I daresay the author was far ahead of his time. His scientific principles are the basis for much of today's physics. It is a wonderful read, so much so that although I no longer have the book I managed to download the entire story from a website I found. From the same site I found two other novels which are part and parcel of this story (it is a 3 book collection). They are : <b>Invaders From The Infinite</b> and <b>The Black Star Passes</b>. If you can I would suggest you read them. Excellent stories.

SaintLucifer
The Dark Saint :twisted:
SaintLucifer

John Campbell

Postby hegemon » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:28 am

I also love Campbell's work. Try "Who Goes There" (a short story), the basis for the movie "The Thing" (very loosely).

To find the book you are looking for, try abebooks.
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

Re: John Campbell

Postby SaintLucifer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:18 pm

hegemon wrote:I also love Campbell's work. Try "Who Goes There" (a short story), the basis for the movie "The Thing" (very loosely).

To find the book you are looking for, try abebooks.

You have read Campbell? I am astonished. You are the first to do so other than myself that I am aware of. You read those three novels I mentioned? Fantastic. I have not read 'Who Goes There' although I shall now. I had no idea it was pretty much the basis for 'The Thing'. I always thought 'The Thing' was based upon a John Carpenter screenplay. One learns new things every day. Interesting or as Spock would say 'fascinating'.

<b>SaintLucifer
The Dark Saint</b>
SaintLucifer

Postby spacecat » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:15 am

How is it even possible that you do not know more about Campbell, a man so influential that he is sometimes called the Father of modern SF.

There is even an award named after him - The Campbell award for new writers of SF. Try this link
http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/cam ... 91130.html
(=^._.^=)

I'm trading SF&F books at
Paperbackswap.com

Tell'em spacecat sent you!
spacecat

surprise

Postby hegemon » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:52 pm

Never be surprised that a person does not know something. Knowledge is infinite, time is finite. Nobody knows everything -- not even everything about science fiction.
hegemon

story

Postby hegemon » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:53 pm

Just remembered a great story about someone -- litereary type -- who had just written an entire book about science fiction. He asks an sf writer to review the book, and the writer says, why don't you say anything about Alfred Bester. He says, "Who?"

Nobody knows everything.
hegemon

Return to sfsite forum