Old Sci-fi Story

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Old Sci-fi Story

Postby winner » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:07 pm

I read a book about 12 years ago ( I think it was pretty old then) about a man who wanders into a cave on an alien planet and has a creature fall on top of his head. He was supposed to die but he had the good fortune to have a creature that inject a sentient intelligence into the the unused parts of his brain. Henceforth, the man has a dual consious. The creature is able to help him heal serious wounds and to basically become immortal and super smart. The ither side-effect is a a shock of silver hair where the crearure landed. Does anyone know th etitle and author of this book. Thanks
winner

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:59 am

Sounds like "Healer" from F.Paul Wilson. Here's the intro from Amazon..

Steven Dalt should have died in that cave on the planet Kwashi. After all, as the natives say, of a thousand people attacked by the cave-dwelling alaret, nine-hundred-and-ninety-nine will die. Dalt survives, but not without personal cost: he has picked up a passenger: an alien intelligence transferred itself from the alaret to take up residence in his brain. Steven Dalt will never be alone again. But Pard, as Dalt names the alien who shares his life, doesn’t believe in freeloading. He pays his rent by using cellular-level consciousness to maintain Dalt’s body in perfect health—no disease, no aging. And now Dalt appreciates the full meaning of the Kwashi natives’ saying: Of a thousand struck down by an alaret, nine-hundred-and-ninety-nine will die. But the thousandth will not die . . . ever.

Spanning twelve hundred years, HEALER follows Dalt and Pard through the centuries as they become known as The Healer, an enigmatic figure with the power to cure diseases of the mind. And when a wave of interstellar slaughter threatens the civilizations of the LaNague Federation, only The Healer has the resources to face the onrushing doom.

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.