Time Travel, Novel in Progress: Reviews Requested

Many of you who visit sfsite are writers or want to be writers. This forum is to share tips about open markets, links to stories you would like critiqued, and any other posts on the subject of writing and selling science fiction.

Moderator: Moderators

Time Travel, Novel in Progress: Reviews Requested

Postby pigeonweather » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:00 pm

"Time Zone" is a time travel story in progress, beginning here:

http://timezoneserial.blogspot.com/2006 ... -zero.html

The theory - Time is a mechanism that does not tolerate anyone or anything messing with it, and it will do whatever it takes to keep itself together. As with any system, there are flaws, occasional glitches, and it is possible to 'break into it'. It is not easy, not common, and not well understood. The story concerns a band of adventurers who are trying to figure it all out. They proceed by trial and error.

Explorers in 'the time zone' do not get anything for free. Every time they "use the force", they pay a price. Travelling in time is not a vacation. You do not get the chance to change anything. On the contrary, it will change you, in whatever way it finds necessary. You may not return, you may not return as yourself, you may not know if you return or not.

(thanks for checking it out - I hope to hear from you)
pigeonweather

good start

Postby hegemon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:13 am

While I wonder about the lack of the usual capitalization and quotation marks this is clearly a style that attracts attention. Both the idea and the beginning chapter caught my interest. I think you've got a winner here. The competition is fierce. I wish you luck.
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

Thanks

Postby pigeonweather » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:58 pm

Thanks very much for your feedback. I'll fix up those syntax issues so they won't be a distraction.
pigeonweather

fix up

Postby hegemon » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:21 am

I'm not sure they are a distraction. If they serve a thematic purpose, they may attract interest. It would depend on the market. (Hardback publishers tend to be more sympathetic to unusual punctuation -- paperback originals tend to want something familiar.)
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

Postby sfxfantasy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:16 am

The premise is very interesting. I like the story in your blog. Where's the rest of it?
sfxfantasy

the rest of it is ... in progress.

Postby pigeonweather » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:28 pm

chapters zero through twenty two are on the blog site, chapter twenty three is waiting to be typed up and posted, and the rest is still in progress. :)
pigeonweather

Return to Writer's Forum