J. Michael Straczinski

My current favorite fantasy comic book is Girl Genius, by Phil Foglio. What's yours?

Moderator: Moderators

J. Michael Straczinski

Postby admin » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:09 pm

The creator of Babylon 5 is doing some wonderful work in comics these days. Recently he has started writing The Fantastic Four. If you want to get the taste of the movie out of your mouth, give the comic book a try.
admin
Site Admin

Re: J. Michael Straczinski

Postby UrbanSpaceman » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:11 pm

admin wrote:The creator of Babylon 5 is doing some wonderful work in comics these days. Recently he has started writing The Fantastic Four. If you want to get the taste of the movie out of your mouth, give the comic book a try.

Yep, and before that he totally reinvented Doctor Strange. I've hardly bought any comics for 20 years but now his name on the cover is enough to get me interested.
UrbanSpaceman

split

Postby hegemon » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:34 am

Straczynski's Super Powers seems to be splitting into two books. I don't know if he will continue the writing.
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

Postby UrbanSpaceman » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:06 am

Just picked up JMS's Dream Police.

Weird. But brilliant.
UrbanSpaceman

Re: split

Postby UrbanSpaceman » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:55 am

hegemon wrote:Straczynski's Super Powers seems to be splitting into two books. I don't know if he will continue the writing.

do you mean Supreme Power, which is being continued as Hyperion and Nighthawk? He's still writing for the Hyperion thread anyway.

I have to say he got somewhat carried away by his fecund imagination in Supreme Power #18: this featured a US president looking remarkably like the present incumbent, but speaking in lengthy, grammatical sentences and using words like "thus" and "consequently". Suspension of disbelief has its limits, even in the world of comics.

added Oct 13:

Uh, I got it. W must have been infected by the nano-thingies as well, giving him (for a Bush) supreme powers of eloquence ...
UrbanSpaceman

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:36 pm

Supreme Power again.

Is the character Kingsley named after Charles Kingsley, author of The Water Babes? Would seem appropriate...

Kingsley

Postby admin » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:55 am

I wondered why she was named Kingsley! I'm sure your explanation is correct.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Brightonian » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:18 pm

I must say, I thought the Supreme Power series rather lost its way after splitting into Hyperion, Nighthawk and the rest. I've been a wee bit disappointed with the ones I've seen so far.
Brightonian

spreading himself too thin?

Postby hegemon » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:22 am

I've only been reading Hyperion, not Nighthawk, because Straczinski does not write Nighthawk. Even so, it seems as if half of all the comics I read are by Straczinski, and while I always enjoy them, they no longer stick in my mind like his earlier comic books, and I'm wondering if he isn't spreading himself too thin.

I'm enjoying the new Sgt. Rock comic by Joe Kubert, Joss Whedon's X-Men, and anything by Alan Moore. But, again, none of them are in the "couldn't live without" category, the way Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four and Steve Ditko's Spider-man were.
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

Return to SF in Comics