Wizard with a beer can...please help.

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizard with a beer can...please help.

Postby Galibryn » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:43 pm

Ok, I read this book a very long time ago but can't for the life of me remember what it was called or who wrote it. I remember the cover vividly though. It had a wizard sitting in a dining room with a beer can that resembled a budweiser. He was wearing either a bath robe as well...I think. If anyone can remember this book or even just give me a hint to what it was called i'd appreciate it. It was the first one in a series that I never had the chance to finish. The storyline was something like: A white male and black female were pulled into a different world by this wizard. One becomes a mage the other a fighter in the war against "evil". The only reason I make note of their ethnicity is because racism was a very very minute part of the plot, but might be memorable. Thanks to anyone with info.

Ok, i'm editing this to try and give a little more information. Hopefully I have it correctly in my brain. The male and female that were pulled to the other world had to help this mage/wizard lead the army in the war. I'm pretty sure the male was the one with the *spark* and was first trained to use fire while sitting around a campfire with the mage. The mage tried to get him to light a candle or something. I really hope this information is correct. Please someone help. I've been looking for this book forever and am really happy I found this site. If you have an idea or any suggestions on how I can go about finding this book utilizing other tools, please, i'd be happy to hear them.
Galibryn

Wizard with a beer can...please help!!

Postby Galibryn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:52 pm

Sorry, just bumping it. I really want to know the title of this book/series. It's driving me insane.
Galibryn

Sounds like...

Postby admin » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:43 am

The white male/black female, the wizard with a beer can, and especially the use of the word "spark", makes this sound like Phil Foglio. Could it have been a graphic novel?

Another thought is Robert Asprin.
admin
Site Admin

Postby guest » Wed May 03, 2006 8:39 am

sounds like "Time of the Dark" by Barbara Hambly, the wizard Ingold was sitting at Gil's apartment kitchen table with a beer can in hand. This would be the original printing, the new Del Rey cover isn't anything like it.

THANK YOU!

Postby Galibryn » Wed May 03, 2006 8:12 pm

That was exactly the right story. Thank you so much. It doesn't get very good reviews unfortunately, but i've been able to order the book with the original cover, and i'll even be able to finish the series.
Galibryn

Postby Guest » Fri May 12, 2006 8:32 am

You're welcome. I think it's just taking a while to make the reviews, after all, it qualified for a reprint. I have all Barbara Hambly's stuff, it's great, even her historical New Orlean's murder/mystery type books. Happy reading. Anne

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.