The Da Vinci Code - (spoilers may be present)

Religion plays a large part in the lives of most people. What role, if any, does religion play in science fiction?

Moderator: Moderators

The Da Vinci Code - (spoilers may be present)

Postby Jackle » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:35 am

Has anyone one else read this book?

I thoroughly enjoyed it and am eagarly awaiting the movie.

One thing i wouldnt mind knowing though, is how much of the prescribed facts of the movie are factual, and how much are made up for dramatic flair.

EG, i found out today that the opus dei is actually a real organisation, so this caused me to become even more curious.

Now the religion side, obviously this book is almost spitting in the face of religion, especially the catholic faith.

The idea that Mary Magdaline was Jesus' wife and carried his daughter is undermining the entire faith.

(also, can anyone verify if there is actually any factual relavence to "sarah" being the daughter of Jesus, or even his marriage to Mary Magdaline?

Discussion is welcome :).
Jackle

science fact and fiction

Postby admin » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:38 pm

The Da Vinci Code is fiction. So is the prequil, Angles and Demons. Like any novelist, the author uses facts for verisimitude, but bends them as much as necessary to further the plot. A very similar plot was used earlier in an Uncle Scrooge story by Don Rosa (leaving out the stuff about Jesus, of course).

Marriage between Jesus and Mary M. would not have any effect on the real Christian faith, but it sure would upset a lot of Roman Catholics, as well as the many people today who think sex was one of God's biggest mistakes. The bible doesn't say one way or another if Jesus was married, but it would be very unusual for a thirty year old Jewish man not to be.
Last edited by admin on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Postby pablo » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:42 pm

I also enjoyed the story. Excellent pacing. Not sure how much is true/false but some of its conjecture was (I believe) taken from the 1983 contraversial "Holy Blood, Holy Grail". See a description of the book from Amazon..

The authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail assert that their explorations into early history ultimately reveal that Jesus may not have died on the cross, but lived to marry and father children whose bloodline continues today. The authors' point here is not to compromise or to demean Jesus, but to offer another, more complete perspective of Jesus as God's incarnation in man. The power of this secret, which has been carefully guarded for hundreds of years, has sparked much controversy. For all the sensationalism and hoopla surrounding Holy Blood, Holy Grail and the alternate history that it outlines, the authors are careful to keep their perspective and sense of skepticism alive in its pages, explaining carefully and clearly how they came to draw such combustible conclusions.
pablo

Postby John Thiel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:33 pm

Too much like scandal to be true. Some people would want Mary Magdalene to have occupied this place in Christ's life. Its presence in the CODE is mixing fantasy into science fiction.
I Test Well--Hearken!
John Thiel

Return to Religion in Science Fiction