story about a telepathic girl

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

story about a telepathic girl

Postby jeff » Sun May 28, 2006 8:08 pm

I read this short story about thirty years ago, more or less. There's a colony of people who are cut off from the main body of people. There are enemies between... and everybody communicates by telepathy. But nobody can get in touch with the main group, except that this little girl can hear the voices of many other people. Her adult companions recognize that she is hearing from the main group, so they have her speak telepathically to them. She can do so; none of the others with her has the power to reach with telepathy the main group. In the end, she brings help, and all recognize the sheer enormity of her telepathic gift.
I tried to describe this story as best i could, and I remember it was great.
jeff

Postby temp » Mon May 29, 2006 12:03 pm

"More Human Than Human" by Theodore Sturgeon? ...however, that was not a colony of telepaths...it was just 3 people.
temp

Postby jeff » Tue May 30, 2006 7:05 am

I checked out the story you mentioned, and it's not the one I'm looking for. I do remember what I'm looking for is a short story, not a novel. All through the story they were trying to reach the main body of people..... Thanks for the reply; any other possibilities?
jeff

Postby plodg » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:57 am

Sounds like The Crysalids by John Wyndam, which is novella length.

The people had an extra digit on their fingers, they were telepathically talking to the Zeelanders (people of similar mutancy) in New Zealand.

Worth a shot.
plodg

Postby jeff » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:27 am

Hey, I checked out the plot, and I think this may be the story I'm looking for. All the details about the story are as I remember them, plus many more that I had forgotten. I'm going to get a copy of this book. Thanks so much.

Jeff :P
jeff

THE PEOPLE and TELZEY AMBERDON

Postby SpasmodicusErectus » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:53 am

I think you may be referring to an author called Zenna Henderson, who wrote about THE PEOPLE with extraordinary powers, living in an isolated community.

Another famous telepathic girl is Telzey Amberdon, written about by the late James Schmitz in books like THE LION GAME and THE TELZEY TOY, both brilliant novelss orig pub in the US in pbk and first hardcovered in the UK. Both are collectors items.

If you need to know where to find these books, let me know and I'll put you on to someone.
SpasmodicusErectus

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.