baby girl names...

At a reader's suggestion, this new forum is open to all kinds of chat, excluding obvious spam.

baby girl names...

Postby temp » Wed May 31, 2006 3:03 pm

I've been through all the websites that have the popular names and not so popular names...information overload really. Is there any cool female names from any sci/fi characters in any books/movies?
temp

Postby Brightonian » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:54 am

How about Inara, from Serenity/Firefly?
Brightonian

Postby SoulThief » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:34 am

Personaly I am biased towards names from Celtic mythology. Hence my daughter is called Rhiannon. :)

Other than that I would choose elven names from LotR

ST
SoulThief

baby girl names

Postby admin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:46 am

How about Modesty, as in Modesty Blaise?

Rick
admin
Site Admin

Postby temp » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:41 am

this will be for a middle name (sorry, not telling the first name we have picked out)...hmm, Inara is kinda cool.

Is is true that JRRT used Gaelic as a basis for his Elven tongue? So maybe some of those Elven names are really Gaelic in origin?
temp

Postby Jackle » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:56 am

I've always been a HUGE fan of the name Jade. Never known why though.
Jackle

Postby Brightonian » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:59 pm

temp wrote:Is is true that JRRT used Gaelic as a basis for his Elven tongue? So maybe some of those Elven names are really Gaelic in origin?

my understanding is that the two Elvish language families, Quenya and Sindarin, were inspired by Celtic and Finnish rather than being based on any historical language. AFAIK the only names directly taken from an actual language are those of the Rohirrim, whose names have Anglo-Saxon roots, plus some of the dwarf names are taken from from Norse sagas. But there are doubtless people out there much better informed than me about the elven tongues, if not obsessed with them...
Brightonian

Postby jdalton » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:47 pm

Ooh- I like coming up with names for other people's kids. I can't think of any good sci-fi ones off hand, but I've got quite a few ethnic names. Like these ones in Arabic, for example: Safia, Rahima, Sabina, or Nadiya. I've got some cool African and Chinese names as well, but they might not be to everyone's taste (I wouldn't mind having a kid named Temitope (last 'e' is pronounced- she's 'Topsy' for short), but well...) I also have a thing for old-fashioned English names like Patience or Grace. I've got some other names I'm saving to use if I ever have kids, and to use for characters in stories if I don't (though Maida is nice, and I'm willing to share that one)
Jonathon Dalton
Lords of Death and Life
jdalton

Postby 3rdplacebronze » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:38 pm

I like Sereinon [sir-reen-non]
3rdplacebronze

Return to Chat