Anyone recommend a good online site to publish stories

Many of you who visit sfsite are writers or want to be writers. This forum is to share tips about open markets, links to stories you would like critiqued, and any other posts on the subject of writing and selling science fiction.

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone recommend a good online site to publish stories

Postby SoulThief » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:57 am

Does anyone use an online site to publish their stories for discussion etc?

I am not sure whether I should publish my stories on my home page or actually use somewhere like fanstory.

Anyway, what do people think and where would they recommend?

ta :)

ST
SoulThief

stories

Postby hegemon » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:07 am

I think it is best to put your stories on your own site, unless and until you find a paying market for them. There was a notice on this page a month or so ago about a new, on-line paying market, if memory serves.

I'd be interested in reading a story of yours. Why not post it on your side and put a link here for comment?
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

Hello

Postby medusaseve » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:24 pm

A bunch of authors I know publish their stories on their website and you might like to do that too to get some exposure. Just remember that, even though its just on your website it considered "published" and you may have a hard time selling it later (if you decide to do so).

For comments and feedback, I recommend Critters website. You can get some great feedback on your stuff and see what other writers are doing. I can't tell you how much they've helped me.

Good luck and happy writing!
M
medusaseve

Postby SoulThief » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:00 am

hmmm - critters.org does indeed look interesting :) I might take it up.

I must admit that I was worried that if I posted any stories on my webby that they would constitute "being published".

But I really feel I need feedback because the little feedback I've got from real life (as opposed to cyber-life) people I know is "love it but its very... different". I don't really think it is that different - but the people giving thopse opinions are not really fantasy/horror readers. So critters may be the way :)

ta :)

ST
SoulThief

very...different

Postby hegemon » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:30 am

"It's very ... different" is what I hear when non-sf people read even the most conventional science fiction. I think for most people the idea that on other planets, or in the future, people may life their lives in ways the are "different" from the way we live our lives today is something they have never thought of before, and something they consider highly unlikely.
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

Postby SoulThief » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:25 am

Just a bit of feedback. I've signed up for Critters (http://www.critters.org/) and think its pretty good. Basically just a coop where people read each others stories and provide feedback. Highly recommend it as some of the stories are quite good :)

ST
SoulThief

online critiques

Postby kawilkes » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:05 am

ST,
Might I suggest another one? OWWW is Other Worlds Writers Workshop and I've been a member there for years. Excellent feedback from writers that are making it happen (getting published). They have strict rules regarding participation but I'm guessing you've already found that to be true with Critters. It's the strict rules that keep it strong, in my opinion. You can check it out here: http://www.otherworlds.net/. There's lots of great info there, even if you don't join. You have to do 6 crits before you sub and then they expect a ratio of 2 crits/1 sub per month. When you join, the actual business end is a yahoo group. Very easy to use. Great people. They conduct seperate writers classes for a modest fee as well.

Sending your stuff to FTL (for the love, not faster than light) markets gives you exposure. I have posted stories on my site but most of my short fiction I'm sending out to paying and non-paying markets both on and off the web.

Contests sometimes provide valuable feedback with the rejection slips.

Many SF conventions have a writer's workshop. I participated in one at BayCon in San Jose, CA. That con also had a lot of useful panel discussions and talks on elements of writing speculative fiction.

Good luck with Critters and I hope some of my suggestions are of use to you.

Keep writing! :)

Ann
SF and other Oddysseys at wilkes.zftp.com
kawilkes

Postby Robert M. Blevins » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:18 pm

This is a good one: Bewildering Stories Magazine, at http://www.bewilderingstories.com

They are on online spec/sci-fi magazine now past their 215th issue.
Every single story they publish is catalogued and search-ready.
Even if you only submit ONE story to them, there will always be a bibliography page established for you there, personally, with an image or two and links, if you wish.
It's all free.
They occasionally publish print books from the submissions.
"Don't give up reaching for the stars...
just build yourself a bigger ladder."
Robert M. Blevins

Postby Frozen » Thu May 31, 2007 9:07 pm

Thanks for that link, Robert. I may try them too! :D
If you're looking for serialised sci-fi, awesome illustrations and some sexy blue adventuresses, then try the Valentine Chronicles!
Frozen

Return to Writer's Forum