script registration

Many of you who visit sfsite are writers or want to be writers. This forum is to share tips about open markets, links to stories you would like critiqued, and any other posts on the subject of writing and selling science fiction.

Moderator: Moderators

script registration

Postby j_wmmdct » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:08 pm

:) hi! i wanna know if i register my movie script in copyright,is it need to be formatted professionally or i can revise or formatted it professionally after registering it?where it is better writers guild of america or copyright to register a script :?: looking forward from reply and thank u so much...
j_wmmdct

I'm no expert

Postby hegemon » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:29 am

I'm not a lawyer, and only a lawyer can give you a definitive answer to the question. If you copyright a script, and someone steals it, all you have to show is that the resemblence between your copyrighted script and the stolen version is "substantial". Format doesn't count. On the other hand, a bare "idea" doesn't count, either, as the man discovered who pitched a "Superman ends war" idea to Christopher Reeve. On the other hand, Hollywood lawyers have deep pockets, and there are many stories of people who were in the right loosing because they couldn't keep up the legal fees. Outside of Hollywood, writers don't have much to worry about, but Hollywood is a world unto itself.
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

Return to Writer's Forum