F&SF story from 70's, dryads satyrs and golden bees

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

F&SF story from 70's, dryads satyrs and golden bees

Postby sfreadergrl » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:55 pm

I read this story as a kid in the 70's and I was sure it was Poul Anderson's "Queen of Air and Darkness" until I recently read that book and that wasn't it (big surprise).

It was in an issue of The Magazine if Fantasy and Science Fiction, it was set in the woods with men as satyrs (goat feet) and women as dryads (tree spirits). Somehow there was something about golden bees that killed the ones who found out too much or misbehaved or bucked the ruling system. All was pretty idyllic and smooth up until the bees came out. And I think there was some kind of hidden technology.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?
sfreadergrl

Postby Al Simms » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:01 pm

Hi, could be 'Lady of the Bees' by Thomas Burnett Swann - also known as 'Where Is The Bird of Fire?'
Al Simms

Postby sfreadergrl » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:41 pm

Thanks, Al, I've ordered the book. I wasn't able to find a synopsis but Swan looks like an excellent writer so even if that's not it I'll enjoy the book.
This is the best lead I've had so I'm hoping this is it! I'll post the results when I get the book.
sfreadergrl

Postby Al Simms » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:58 pm

Yes, he was an excellent author - died young I believe - it's a long time since I read any of his works - your query has sparked up my interest in him and I think I'll do some re-reading.
Al Simms

Postby sfreadergrl » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:14 pm

Found it! I got several of his works. I was reading "Lady of the Bees" and it was seeming similar but not quite right when a character said a line and I realized that was the title of the story I had read. I was able to search more specifically. The story I was looking for was a novella in the Mar 1972 issue of F and SF called, "Love is a Dragonfly". I have just ordered that 1972 issue.

Thanks so much for your help. That story made an impression that has stayed with me for over 30 years. I am really glad to have found it. I have been desultorily searching for it for about 5 years and seriously looking for about a year now. And your knowledge made the difference! Thanks again.
sfreadergrl

paperback

Postby hegemon » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:09 am

I think those stories were collected in an Ace Books paperback.
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

Postby Al Simms » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:18 pm

Great! I'm glad you found it. Will o' the Wisp is really good too.
Al Simms

Postby 2 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:11 am

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.