Very thin string cutting people in half...Stand on Zanzibar?

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Very thin string cutting people in half...Stand on Zanzibar?

Postby mspringer1a » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:12 am

I am trying to find out if the following describes an event in the title listed on the subject line...

The example I recall consisted of a single long-chain molecule -- that was essentially unbreakable and invisible. In the story, one of these molecules was stretched across a road in advance of a military troop transport. The vehicle and its inhabitants were sliced by the molecule. there were no outright fatalities, but due to the extreme thinness of the "string," the effects of the slicing were unpredictable.
mspringer1a

mono

Postby admin » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:38 am

I think Larry Niven was the first author to make use of monomolecular filiments in his stories. I don't remember a Niven story using monomolecular filiments against jeeps, though. That sounds more like Jerry Pournelle.
admin
Site Admin

Postby SoulThief » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:02 am

I recall seeing something like this in at least one other book, but I can't remember which. I keep thinking of Iain Banks - but I feel that its not him but someone who has a similar style.

ST
SoulThief

Postby boonie » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:54 pm

The only book that I can remember reading with something similiar was "Man-Kzin Wars" It's been quite a while since I've read them but I do remember them using a molecular fiber to repel from.

Boonie
boonie

Can't stand Zanzibar

Postby hegemon » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:58 am

I notice that nobody here seems to have read Stand on Zanzibar recently enough to remember if it used monomolecular filiments or not. I read it, way back when it won the Hugo. Didn't much like it.
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

Stand on Zanzibar

Postby admin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:46 pm

Actually, if you look in the Science Fiction forum, you'll fine that eike_p has done his homework.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Buglunch » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:41 pm

Man, this concept is getting common in current works, from Johnny Mnemonic through Cube to Tv Battlestar Galactica...

:o
Buglunch

The Ring world series

Postby epicfantasy7 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:09 pm

The very thin string is used a lot in the Niven Ringworld series. IT is the material that is used to hold the ring in place. I remember several scenes with it being used to cut people in half and I think it even cut one of the hand/eyes off of a puppetteer. Been a few years since I read the series but I remember that the string was so thin that it was practically invisible.
epicfantasy7

Postby spacecat » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:08 pm

I remember reading about that single molecule thick line and its slicing potential in Ringworld. Chilling thought, having to beware of something like that.

I think I also noted it recently in reading Singularity Sky, by Charles Stross.
(=^._.^=)

I'm trading SF&F books at
Paperbackswap.com

Tell'em spacecat sent you!
spacecat

john Brunner is the answer

Postby shrike522 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:12 am

Hello
The book msspringer1a is trying to find is titled "The Sheep Look Up" by John Brunner. I think it was sequel to Stand on Zanzibar. Which is a fantastic book by the way.
shrike522
shrike522

Postby dometone » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:16 pm

This idea also shows up in some of William Gibson's work, notably "Neuromancer" and one of his more popular short stores, "Burning Chrome". Both served as source code for that movie with Keanu Reeves (you know the one).
dometone

Postby Anpo28 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:56 pm

Anpo28

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.