So . . . is this place the best site?

For discussion of issues specific to sfsite.

Moderator: Moderators

So . . . is this place the best site?

Postby HomieBear » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:12 pm

Hey, I would love to be part of an active, intelligent and vibrant sci-fi community, but don't really know where to go. No offense to the administrators of this site but it seems to be fairly quiet here . . . is there a more active place where those in-the-know hang out?
Thanks
HomieBear

Good conversation

Postby hegemon » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:28 am

This site is relatively new, and at least has a high level of intelligent, informed opinion. We're the hard core sf fans. I keep hoping it will build into a more active site. I know that the more people who contribute, the more people who will want to contribute.
This is the race that will rule the sevagram!
hegemon

Re: So . . . is this place the best site?

Postby Brightonian » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:34 pm

HomieBear wrote:seems to be fairly quiet here

here's a suggestion: you could start a discussion going, on some topic that excites you. then maybe it won't be so quiet anymore.
Brightonian

Topic

Postby admin » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:11 pm

Here's a topic. I write the tv reviews for sfsite, in the Babylon 5.1 column, but I sometimes wonder what other people do while watching tv. I'm watching scifi Friday as I write this, and surf the web during commercials. Other times, I'll record the show I want to watch and watch it later. The cost is lower quality, the advantage fast forwarding through the commercials. I keep waiting for what would be a really weird experience -- a slowmo commercial that looks normal on fast forward.

The experience is strange -- stories in little eight minute bursts.

So, does anyone just sit there and watch commercials any more? What's that like.
admin
Site Admin

Postby temp » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:01 am

I don't mind watching them, cause that's what funds the television network and hence develops the shows I like watching. If people like me did not watch commercials, all you fast forwarders would not have anything to watch on TV, or else you'd have to pay a lot more for your programming. shame on you for fast forwarding.

:wink:
temp

ads

Postby admin » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:50 am

I've heard this argument before, but I don't buy it. My time is valuable to me. In fact, my time is all I have. And I'm happy to pay for my entertainment, which consists mostly of book -- not an ad driven medium, though product placements are becoming more common. In fact, I really look forward to the direct to DVD medium, which can target a more specialized audience, as witness the new direct to DVD Babylon 5 movie now in the works.
admin
Site Admin

Postby temp » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:01 pm

I put the smiley face with the wink cause I wasn't being too serious.

Lately, I notice the advertisements being more clever by working themselves right into the television show. There's a not a single CSI episode that goes by without seeing a big zoom in on the Nikon logo for those camera's when they're taking pictures of a crime scene. I guess this is what you mean by product placements. Perhaps not so common for scifi, although I do recall seeing a few sci fi movies with futuristic cars and you see the lexus or toyota logo or something on these future cars.
temp

Product placement in SF

Postby Brightonian » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:58 am

It's not uinknown - remember PK Dick's shameless plugs for Laphroaig whisky in various of his works, such as The Divine Invasion?
Brightonian

Re: Topic

Postby HomieBear » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:43 pm

admin wrote:
So, does anyone just sit there and watch commercials any more? What's that like.

I don't watch much TV but the commercials are sure annoying when I do. But it's a necessary evil. What really bugs me is when I pay money, lots of money, to go to a movie and have to sit through five minutes of commercials- not trailers, but car and cola commercials. I hate that, because I already paid to be there.
HomieBear

movie commercials

Postby hegemon » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:20 am

Go to the movies ten minutes late.
hegemon

Postby temp » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:10 pm

yeah, but then you might get a bad seat and end up with a permanent kink in your neck from watchin the movie at some awkward angle. Personally, I like the middle seat, in the very centre of the theatre...but to get that seat, you have to show up in time for all the commercials.
temp

Postby spacecat » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:15 pm

I pretty much Tivo everything and watch it w/o commercials. We have a standing rule though to slow down and watch movie ads.

When I vacation the only things I miss are Tivo and my cat.

Cutting out the commercials means I can watch an hour show in about 45 minutes. That leaves more time for reading!
(=^._.^=)

I'm trading SF&F books at
Paperbackswap.com

Tell'em spacecat sent you!
spacecat

Postby dometone » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:08 pm

LOST launched a pretty intensive viral-marketing-with-content online ARG. That, I didn't mind. Otherwise, I'm grateful for the chance to use the bathroom.

At the movies, I feel like screaming when I sit through all the advertiesments. Tickets are seven dollars (thank goodness I don't live in an urban area, where tickets are even more), concessions are outrageous, and then they top it off with advertisements.

It makes me wonder how much profit the movie companies are squeezing out of me? I know movies are expensive to make, but twelve-dollars-for-stupid-popcorn expensive?
dometone

Postby Brightonian » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:28 pm

spacecat wrote:Cutting out the commercials means I can watch an hour show in about 45 minutes. That leaves more time for reading!

I don't even have a TV - just imagine how much time I save!
Brightonian

tv

Postby hegemon » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:07 am

Not even a tv as a device for watching DVDs?
hegemon

Next

Return to sfsite forum