A space travel book...

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

A space travel book...

Postby the17pointscale » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:26 am

Hi, I'm looking for an old children's SF book, but I can't remember much about it. I read the book (it may have actually been a series of books) during the 80s and I feel like it was old even then. All that I remember is that the main character is a nerdy old scientist (I think he has an egg-shaped head). There may have been a pair of children too. I think that one of the books is called Mr. ____ (or Dr. _____ ) goes to _____ (maybe Mars, Pluto, or some made-up name). I think that red was the most prominent color on the cover. And it may have been a picture book....

Anyway, if this sounds at all familiar to anyone please reply. I'd like to buy the book for my dad at Christmas (it's a nostalgic gift).

Thanks!
the17pointscale

shot in the dark

Postby Brightonian » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:04 pm

I guess it wasn't My Friend Mr Leakey?

The only points of contact are: it's an old book that deserves to be back in print, the main character is an eccentric scientist/magician, the book cover was red (I think).
Brightonian

Postby the17pointscale » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:44 am

actually, i posted in another forum and i think i found the answer:

It sounds to me like you are talking about Eleanor Cameron's books about "The Mushroom Planet." The first is called "The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet," and the second is "Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet." The books feature a rather egg-headed scientist named Tyco Bass, and two young boys, David and Chuck. In the first book, Bass puts a notice in the paper for two boys to build a small space ship, and David responds to the ad. He and his friend Chuck end up going to "The Mushroom Planet," which is hidden within our own solar system. I remember the books as being truly wonderful and inventive.
the17pointscale

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.