Quick Question

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Quick Question

Postby Tunesmith » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:37 pm

First off, thanks for taking the time to read/reply. This has been bugging me for a couple of days now, and I've flipped through most of my collections in search of this elusive story:

What I can remember is that it was a short story approximately eight pages in length. (Keep in mind, there may be a bit of deviation from the actual story) The major collections that I've read over the past few years have been by Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Silverberg, and Ray Bradbury (not that the many others aren't amazing! I just haven't progressed too far...). Anyway, the story was about a mysterious man who would somehow remove people's worries and doubts. The opening scene, if I remember correctly, was a dinner party, in which the man moved from person to person, leaving each guest feeling elated afterwards. Upon leaving, the man would become depressed, feeling all of the depression that he had absorbed. In the final scene, a young boy sits on a park bench with the man, and tells him his worry. I believe the man explodes, disappears, etc., due to the weight of the boy's worry. The story was simply written and a great piece of work.

If it helps, I remember reading another story immediately afterwards about a man who invents a machine that plays the most beautiful music possible, surpassing Mozart, Bach, etc., and becomes transfixed. But seeing as I had just gone on a SF binge, it's always possible it was by another author.

If anyone could tell me the name of this story, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks,

Tunesmith
Tunesmith

Postby shrike522 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:37 am

Looking for this story was like looking for A Needle in a Timestack. :D
I think the story you are looking for is The Warm Man by Robert Silverberg written in 1957. I read it in a book entitled Dimension Thirteen from 1969.
Thank you for your post as it gave me a chance to reread Eve and the Twenty-Four Adams from the same collection,an excellent story. I also really liked Mr. Siverbergs novel The Alien Years.
shrike522

Postby Tunesmith » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:47 am

Thank you so much, shrike! I actually first read it in one of Silverberg's collections, but I've already ordered Dimension 13 for myself.

Thanks for your searching, I really appreciate it! :D
Tunesmith

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.