Locus List of Recommended Reading

At a reader's suggestion, this new forum is open to all kinds of chat, excluding obvious spam.

Locus List of Recommended Reading

Postby spacecat » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:37 am

We've been looking at this on another forum. Have you seen this? And how many have you read?
http://www.locusmag.com/2007/2006RecommendedReading.html
(=^._.^=)

I'm trading SF&F books at
Paperbackswap.com

Tell'em spacecat sent you!
spacecat

Locus

Postby admin » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:53 am

Sadly, I've read very little on the list. I did vote in the locus poll, but several of my votes were write-ins. I voted for a Larry Niven story and a David Gerrold story, and the Spider Robinson/Heinlein "collaboration", and none of those writers make the Locus lists these days.

What have a read? Rainbows End by Vinge, loved it. Reading Soldier of Sidon by Wolfe, liked it a lot, plan to read His Majesty's Dragon based on strong recommendations from a friend, will certainly read Ursula LeGuin's Voices (voted for it anyways) ... LeGuin writes faster than I read!

Currently reading the Suzanna Clarke collection, voted for it based on what I have read. Will certainly read the collections by Beagle and Gaiman, and have heard good things about the Jeffrey Ford collection.

Art books. I've read "Mommy" by Maurice Sendak. Cute pop up book. Am currently readin Amphigorey Again. A mix of great stuff and minor work.

I've read very little of the shorter fiction. Only El Regalo by Beagle and How to talk to Girls at Parties by Gaiman.

I notice that a lot of the shorter fiction is from sources I never see, not the traditional sf magazines.

Rick
admin
Site Admin

Postby pablo » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:54 am

I haven't read too many either! Just can't keep up! Gonna have to take up speed reading or just skip a page here and there lol!

Did read "Farthing" and "Blindsight" and enjoyed them both.

Have on order:

- The Road
- Brief History of the Dead and
- The Last Witchfinder
pablo

Postby spacecat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:05 am

I can't keep up either! But I love to see these lists come out because I get a lot of great reading suggestions from them.

I have only read four from the list - The Clan Corporate by Charles Stross and the three Temeraire books by Naomi Novik, His Majesty's Dragon, Throne of Jade and Black Powder War.

Charles Stross actually has three books listed, two in SF and one under Fantasy! :shock:

I currently have Soldier of the Mist on order and plan on getting Rainbow's End after getting through the library books I picked up this Saturday.
(=^._.^=)

I'm trading SF&F books at
Paperbackswap.com

Tell'em spacecat sent you!
spacecat

Postby Brightonian » Sun May 06, 2007 3:49 pm

I've read just one story on that list - Neil Gaiman's How to talk to girls at parties. And that was while browsing at Borders.
Brightonian

Return to Chat