Cap RIP

My current favorite fantasy comic book is Girl Genius, by Phil Foglio. What's yours?

Moderator: Moderators

Cap RIP

Postby Brightonian » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:13 pm

So I read in the paper today that Captain America has been killed off, victim of a lone assassin's bullet.

I must admit I was never much of a fan (not begin American, why would I be?) and only started getting to know him through the recent Civil War series. Still not sure if he was on the right side.
Brightonian

Re: Cap RIP

Postby dometone » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:05 am

Brightonian wrote:Still not sure if he was on the right side.
I think that particular point has been a stirring piece of subtlety for Captain America. He's about the only character who's really had to adapt over the years. The amount of social change that's occurred since he was de-frosted after WWII has been significant, and personal politics are even more important than ever considering the political climate in America.

Some of the Captain's best issues were the ones where he bantered political ideology with the Flag Smasher. I think it's unfortunate that we live in a country so divided that even Captain America and his middle-of-the-road politics can't hack it as an everlasting symbol.
dometone

Cap

Postby admin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:19 am

At least we live in a country where Civil War, which is pretty obviously about the divisive policies of President Bush, can be published by a mainstream publisher. President Bush is inept and corrupt, but I still prefer Bush to, say, Putin or Kim Jong Il . And we have a chance to "overthrow" Bush, non-violently, in 2008. It will be interesting to see what Putin does in his next election.

When I heard that they "killed" Captain America, my reaction was, "Good for them." I love Cap, but I really only love the Jack Kirby version. After following Civil War for more than a year, to have it end with Cap wimping out, "Civilians will be hurt.", was a really lame ending. Shooting was to good for him.

If you want to read real Captain America stories, read the first Captian America Marvel Masterwork.
admin
Site Admin

Return to SF in Comics