novel about computer hacker

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

novel about computer hacker

Postby SCF » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:57 am

This is a novel geared for adults but I read it in my early teens in the 70's. The story is set in a futuristic anti-utopia that probably seemed far distant back then, but I think we are there now, which might be why I cannot find it; maybe it is too ludicrous in the light of real world internet experience. Still I would like to re-read this book.
It has two simultaneous story lines that alternate every chapter. In one story line we follow this computer expert as he flees from...perhaps malicious government forces or annoyed corperations...I'm not sure. The other story line is the same computer guy who has apparently been caught and is being interveiwed by a a psychologist. They parry words and ideas as the psychologist gently tries to coax the Computer Guy into doing what he wants (sabotaging some corperate or government system I think), while the computer guy is trying to decide if he can really trust the psychologist. It is this exchange of ideas that I want to re-read now. I loved the adventure of his flight when I was 12, but thought the interview scenes were rather too intellectual at the time.
It is very suspenceful and then all ends happily ever after. Can you help me find this story?
SCF

Postby Brightonian » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:24 am

COuld it be The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner? haven't read it for a while but sounds vaguely similar.
Brightonian

Postby SCF » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:12 am

I think that you might be right!! I am so excited! I looked Shockwave Rider up on line and it sounds right, but I have yet to find the actual book. My library has it on order from another library in a neighboring city. I will let you know when I find out for sure. Thank you!
SCF

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.