A series of 10 books... i think...

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

A series of 10 books... i think...

Postby zouk » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:17 am

Well, this worth the try...

I am searching for the title(s) (or the author's name), of a series of 10 books, the first one probably written in the 80's, the conclusion of the series came out a year or two ago... Considered as a classic row of stories by some fans. The author is a man. I know, it is ridiculously thin, but i have read great reviews about those, before losing the the infos, and i would love to give it a try....

Also, my daughter just finished the Zenna Henderson's People Stories ( i must admit that those are very well written, though a bit too much Peter-Pannesque for me) and wants to know if any of you would have something "similar" to suggest.

Thanks to anyone that will provide any hint.

Happy New Year to All.
zouk

Postby Stinky93 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:25 am

Methinks you are going to have to provide a few more clues. There are alot of series books out there.
Is it science fiction? Fantasy? Marshmellow People? Dancing Umbrellas?
Stinky93

Henderson

Postby admin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:25 am

If your daughter loves Zena Henderson, she will probably also love Anne McCaffery. I suggest she start with Dragonsinger and Dragonsong.
admin
Site Admin

Postby zouk » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:11 pm

Thanks a lot Admin, that will help. Anything that could keep up her interest in reading... so i'll check about McAffery. Sorry Stinky 93. I know how ridiculously thin my hints are, but all i have is that one night i was browing on Amazon, and found a group of reviews about that series of 10 books, that was about two years ago, and most of the reviews were about how incredibly good that row of books had been, how great the last one just out (2006?) was, that it was for some the best series they had read and so on. Of course then i closed my computer before writing down the info and never could find it again. Yeah i know, i do that sometimes... And no, i am pretty sure that it was about dancing umbrellas. Pretty sure... This said, how many epic stories of 10 books long is there in Sci-Fi or Fantazy ? Oh well... no big deal.
zouk

Postby Stinky93 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:34 pm

Probably whatever you clicked on was something fairly popular, so I'll name a few off the top of my head:
1 - The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
2 - Invasion Earth series - L. Ron Hubbard (terrible writing)
3 - Wildcards - George R. R. Martin editor

If it's for young adults, then that opens up a whole bunch of series and I have no clue. You can always go to amazon.com and click browse subjects, then click sci-fi and fantasy, then search on the word series.
Stinky93

Re: A series of 10 books... i think...

Postby dazmonic » Mon May 26, 2008 6:47 am

Wouldnt be the Joel Rosenberg series - Guardians of the Flame??

I seem to remember that one started in the 80's and a new one came out recently (1 or 2 years)

Hope it helps
dazmonic

Postby admin » Mon May 26, 2008 7:11 am

Gene Wolfe's New Sun series has about ten books in it, I think. But you are probably seeking something more clearly marketed as a series.
admin
Site Admin

Postby slaven41 » Mon May 26, 2008 10:08 pm

The time scale makes me think of the Dark Tower series, by Stephen King. That finished at only seven volumes I think, but I think at one time it might have been slated for about ten.

Zelazny's Amber series is about the right number of books, I think, but I don't know if the time frame is right.

Card's Ender series must be getting close to ten books, if it's not there already.

That's all I've got to add. At least for now.

--Dave
"It's only Neutron. We call him that because he's so positive." --from This Island Earth
slaven41

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.