Reading and time for it???

At a reader's suggestion, this new forum is open to all kinds of chat, excluding obvious spam.

Reading and time for it???

Postby ChrisC » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:02 pm

Do you ever find that you go through phases of reading alot and then nothing. I'm at that period now, it's annoying the F out of me. I just can't get into reading right now. I know the reading phase will return, as this has happened to me before.

Although I just got a new computer and playing the latest games on it might be something to do with it. But I love reading so much was thinking of un-installing the games to force me to read, but it's a phase and I shall grow tired if the games and read again.

Apart from the games bit does anyone else get this readers block?
"We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts."

Buddha in The Dhammapada.

ChrisC

http://www.buddhanet.net/
http://www.ubuntu.com/
ChrisC

Something really good to read can make the difference.

Postby admin » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:35 am

Something really good to read can make the difference. I recommend His Dark Materials. If the first chapter of The Golden Compass doesn't do the trick, nothing will.
admin
Site Admin

Postby spacecat » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:29 pm

I just went through that. I am now getting back to reading after a couple of months of getting into Sudoku puzzels, and then Origami.

I blame it partly on a book I just couldn't make myself finish. When I finally gave up on it and picked up one that really engaged my interest I was back to reading.
(=^._.^=)

I'm trading SF&F books at
Paperbackswap.com

Tell'em spacecat sent you!
spacecat

Postby Thanatos » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:10 am

Funny! I'm right there at this moment. Still plodding along through A Feast for Crows and since it's so damn boring (for me at least) it's killing my reading desire slowly but surely. So instead of taking a couple of hours each night to go through some chapters I'm using the time to watch old movies from my DVD collection or listening to some music.

Also I'm a bit bored by all these megavolumes with 700+ pages! Damn, I've just read a formidable book with less than 200 pages. What's wrong with the authors today, especially those writing in the fantasy and SF fields? They all look like they have wordprocessoritis. :? And after a megavolume comes another five or six megavolumes... stories just have a way of bloating out of all proportion. It's just too much time invested for little return.
Thanatos

words, words, words

Postby admin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:14 am

Writers get paid by the word. Your problem with Feast for Crows is why I didn't start reading that series.

I'm currently reading a "classic", Love in the time of Cholora. it goes down smoothly, and is very well written, but I'm kind of looking forward to finishing it and moving on to the next book on my shelf, Tarzan and the Lion Man. I know that Tarzan is not as "good" as the classic novel, but a book can be not as good and at the same time more fun.

Of course, some classics are both good and fun. I loved Anna Karinina.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Reading and time for it???

Postby HAL Jr » Thu May 29, 2008 8:02 am

This happens to me,annoying when it happens half way thru an otherwise good book! Last one was an Alastair Reynolds book(Pushing Ice)
Great book but i just ran out of steam half way thru. It doesn't help that the only time I get to read is at night before lights out. I find it hard to read while downstairs when the TV is on,so I surf instead!
Would you like a stress pill Dave?
HAL Jr

Postby admin » Fri May 30, 2008 7:13 am

Posted on my office door is a Rose is Rose cartoon that describes what the various buttons on a tv do. "This one is for the volume, and this one is for the channel, and this one (screen goes dark) turns on the world."
admin
Site Admin

Postby HAL Jr » Fri May 30, 2008 9:35 am

the only trouble is i'm not the only one in this house,and while I could do without a TV my other half couldn't. plus its on for the kids
HAL Jr

Postby admin » Sat May 31, 2008 7:26 am

At the risk of sounding like an old curmudgeon, it's BAD for the kids. On the other hand, if your better half can't live without it, the only way you can survive with your personality intact is ear plugs.

One of the best things you can do for young children is get them in the habit of turning the tv on only when there is something specific they want to watch. TV as wallpaper makes kids nervous, anxious, and unable to concentrate. Google the Scientific American article on the effects of too much tv.

I well remember a friend coming over to visit, staring at my tv for a few seconds, and then saying, incredulously, "Your tv is off." It was as if he said, "The sun has gone out."
admin
Site Admin

Postby HAL Jr » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:09 pm

Well actually Katie,4, tends to spend a lot of time upstairs playing with her My Little Pony collection,then comes down and asks me to put CBeebies on(a kids channel)
I try to say no but then I get temper tantrums!
Matthew on the other hand,2,isn't that bothered,but likes any programme featuring cars! He loves cars and motoring shows. He's a petrol head in the making!
But if i lived on my own i wouldn't have a TV and people would think me strange,lol
HAL Jr

Ask Dear Abby

Postby admin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:24 am

Temper tantrums are a learned behavior. If you pay attention to them, they persist. If you ignore them, they go away.
admin
Site Admin

Postby HAL Jr » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:33 am

Yes but if you ignore the 4 year old girl who is bending down at you,finger pointed shouting at you,No,I won't,they learn they can get away with it! Ignoring is not always the best policy! The problem is she spends a lot of time at grandmas who lets her have her own way,so she rebels when we say no and dish out the discipline. Matthew on the other hand only spends time with us really,grandma won't have him for some reason.
HAL Jr

Postby admin » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:27 am

If a 4 year old is bending down at you, stand up!

I'm not sure that you even want to hear this, but I raised five children, including one with an explosive temper. If you don't get 4 year old under control, you're going to have a child who is too big to handle on your hands before you know it.

As for grandma, children learn quickly to adapt their behavior to the person they're dealing with. The temper tantrums are her way of dealing with you, not with grandma, and they work, or she would stop. Four year old wants something. Make sure she doesn't get it until she shapes up. I suspect what she wants if for daddy to set boundaries and enforce them. And then read her a story at bedtime. A story about ponies.

"Psychiatric help, 5 cents."
admin
Site Admin

Postby HAL Jr » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:36 am

Yea she's a strong willed fiery one is Katie,takes after her mom i think ;)
Whereas matthew is more laid back but still has his moments!
HAL Jr

Return to Chat