2008 Hugo nominations

And the 2012 nominees are...

2008 Hugo nominations

Postby admin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:30 pm

The 2008 Hugo nominations are out. You can vote. Just join the current Worldcon as a supporting member. (Google worldcon.)

None of the novels I liked made the ballot, but I do have a few recommendations if you plan to vote.

Best Novella, "Memorare" by Gene Wolfe -- not only a great story, but Gene Wolfe has never won a Hugo and it's about time.

Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form. For some reason, they put the entire first season of Heroes as one long drama, while all the other tv shows are in "short form". That means I have to choose between The Golden Compass and Heroes, which sucks.

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form. The first web cast to be nominated for a Hugo is Star Trek: The New Voyages, "World Enough and Time".

Best Professional Artist: Phil Foglio gets my vote.

Best fanzine: Challenger.

Deadline for voting is July 1.
admin
Site Admin

Postby k1w1taxi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:25 am

Some interesting nominations. While I haven't actually read any of the written nominees Brasyl is on the Must Read That Sometime List and is obviously in need of bumping up.

I note that 1 novellette (Glory) and 1 short story (Whos afraid of Wolf 359?) both come from the New Space Opera anthology. Has anyone read this? Comments?

I also was somewhat puzzled by the placing of Heroes in the long form section, but on further reflection no single episode of the series really stand on its own in the way the short form nominees do.

BTW I assume Torchwood is a spinoff of The Doctor?

Cheers
Lee
k1w1taxi

Postby Brightonian » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:38 pm

Yes, Torchwood is not only a spinoff but as you no doubt sussed, an anagram of Doctor Who. Not that well-received on this side of the Atlantic, to be honest.
Brightonian

Postby Stinky93 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

For the record, you can look at the nominees here(since the worldcon website is such a mess to navigate):

http://216.92.255.170/awardweb/hugos/2008.html

I see that The Terror - Dan Simmons was not nominated. That's a shame, excellent book. Of course it was one of the only 2007 published books I have read so far. Probably one of the best books I've read in a long time.

Anyway, if any of you want to see a well done site listing most types of book awards, I recommend this site (http://216.92.255.170/awardweb/). I like that they also list the nominees for each year.
Stinky93

Return to Hugo Awards and Locus Awards