don't have time to read...

At a reader's suggestion, this new forum is open to all kinds of chat, excluding obvious spam.

don't have time to read...

Postby temp » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:47 pm

I used to read all the time, but lately I can barely fit it in...in large part because I have a 17-month-old at home and by the time she's in bed I have about 1.5 hours of free time "do something"...and usually I'm too tired to read and end up watching TV.

anyone else out there have this problem too?
temp

read

Postby admin » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:45 am

The answer, of course, is to read aloud to your child at bedtime. At that age, I recommend Dr. Seuss. I can still quote, I think, "One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish."
admin
Site Admin

Postby Stinky93 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:02 pm

and teach your kid to read when she's around three years old. It's surprisingly easy. You teach the sounds of the vowels and start with really simple words to sound out. Whenever the kid gets bored with it, just stop on do something else.
Whenever I look back at my own kids growing up, I always think back to when they were learning to read. I just loved that time period. They would always come to me and ask if they could read to me.
We started with Go Dog Go.
I have it memorized to this day.
Stinky93

Postby ChrisC » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Yes I have been having this problem lately. I think it's down to my addiction to Half Life 2. You go through reading avidly to reading hardly anything at all. I can't wait to get the reading itch again.
"We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts."

Buddha in The Dhammapada.

ChrisC

http://www.buddhanet.net/
http://www.ubuntu.com/
ChrisC

Re: read

Postby slaven41 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:10 am

admin wrote:The answer, of course, is to read aloud to your child at bedtime. At that age, I recommend Dr. Seuss. I can still quote, I think, "One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish."

And when the child is too old for that, you move on to excerpts from Stanislaw Lem's "Cyberiad." The early chapters almost beg to be read out loud to children. (Disclaimer: I don't have any kids, and have never tried this.)

--Dave
slaven41

Re: don't have time to read...

Postby HAL Jr » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:36 pm

Yes i sympathise. I have 2 kids,one boy, 2, and a 4 year old madam/princess. They take all your time up come bedtime your frazzled!
Am off to bed myself now to finish the story i'm on(the Mole Pirate by Murray Leinster)
Would you like a stress pill Dave?
HAL Jr

Postby admin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:26 am

Leinster is a lot of fun. My son was assigned a Leinster story for his SF in Computer Science class, "A Logic Named Joe". It's surprising to note that Leinster was writing sf long before Heinlein and Asimov and Clarke, but stayed modern well into the sixties. Leinster was better at short stories than novels. Some of my favorites are "First Contact", which was turned into a great comic book series by Russ Manning, and "Exploration Team", which would make a neat movie.
admin
Site Admin

Postby HAL Jr » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:41 am

Yea The Mole Pirate was a fun but sometimes scary story,loved it! Now on Jack Williamson's The Moon Era
Would you like a stress pill Dave?
HAL Jr

Return to Chat