Story of space travel and exceptional human development

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Story of space travel and exceptional human development

Postby jhi » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi, I do not get a chance to read as much as I used to, mostly now to my kids. (by the way, there is some wonderful SF/Fantasy young adult out there!) But in around 1988 I read a compilation of the best of some SF short stories or novellas. It seemed like it was a well worn book, that is that it had been around for a while. There is one story that I can remember a little of (the other stories I'm not sure of because after this book I started reading other SF compilations and I'm not sure what was from the original book)

The story was about a group of young people that began a long space voyage. Along the way in addition to some problems, they began to gain exceptional powers. For instance, one kid began to peer into forward space as they traveled and began to gain very good eyesight, even beginning to see the future. If I remember correctly, when they got to their destination, they were able to solve some big problems with the inhabitants (could it have been back to earth? - I'm not sure) Anyway, thank you for taking a look at my need. I really want to find this compilation. -Jeff
jhi

Re: Story of space travel and exceptional human development

Postby admin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:17 am

Sounds to me like "The Gold at Starbow's End" by Fredric Pohl.
admin
Site Admin

Postby jhi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:33 am

Yup, I think you nailed it. I don't know how you did it! Do you know of any way to find all the compilation books that story appeared in? I found an interesting book from 1989 called "The World Treasury of Science Fiction" that I am going to order. I may also check out a collection by Frederik Pohl. Thank you very much. -Jeff

btw - it looks like it was made into a novel called Starburst
jhi

Postby admin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:09 pm

There's a paperback titled "The Gold at Starbow's End", many copies of which (including a signed copy) are available at amazon.com. I haven't read the novelization, but my hunch is that the novella is better.
admin
Site Admin

Postby jhi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:23 pm

Hey, thanks again, can't wait to procure a copy. -Jeff
jhi

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.