Dark Lord Rising now available

Many of you who visit sfsite are writers or want to be writers. This forum is to share tips about open markets, links to stories you would like critiqued, and any other posts on the subject of writing and selling science fiction.

Moderator: Moderators

Dark Lord Rising now available

Postby Psimi789 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:30 am

My new novel, Dark Lord Rising, is now available. You can pick it up from any on line bookseller, like http://www.amazon.com or http://www.barnesandnoble.com. You can also get it from a link on my web site, http://www.paulsimione.com. This site also gives you a free exerpt from the book.

Landar, Jasmira and Cletus are three ordinary young people, living in an ordinary village with their ordinary parents. At least that is what they believe until their world is turned upside down. Magic, long gone from the world, suddenly returns, and with it, an unspeakable evil long thought destroyed.

Very quickly, the three find out that both they and their parents are anything but ordinary. It now falls on them to somehow stop the armies of darkness from swallowing their civilization. Fighting against creatures of nightmare, they each discover amazing abilities. Even with these, the early battle goes poorly. Friends and family are killed. Soon, each is sent off on missions that may determine the outcome of this war between good and evil.

They will travel to new and amazing lands and meet many new and amazing people. They will discover civilizations none knew existed. Now, they must determine which of these are friends and which are foes. It won’t be easy, but if mistakes are made about who to trust, their lives and their entire cause will be lost.

Each of the three will know love and heartache. Some will lose those closest to them. This novel will follow their growth. The question is; will they survive the experience?

This epic fantasy story is the first of a trilogy. I hope everyone enjoys it.
Psimi789

Re: Dark Lord Rising now available

Postby admin » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:03 am

I hate to say it, but this plot has been used in fantasy fiction from The Lord of the Rings to Girl Genius. In your blurb, to attract readers, you need to say not how your trilogy is like all the other trilogies, but what makes it different.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Psimi789 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:25 am

As you say, the basic plot of many (most?) fantasy stories follows a similar course. Didn't someone once say that there's only 7 plots and everything written uses them? I believe the differences that make certain stories, especially fantasy, stand out lie in the characters and the situations they find themselves in. I would be hard pressed to tell you plot elements of any fantasy series that I've enjoyed that stood out as unique. The Erigon stories and the Wheel of Time series, both of which I enjoyed greatly, have many derivitive basic plot threads. What makes them stand out are the characters and how they react to what is happening. The best books that I've read are the ones that when you finish, you feel like you're leaving a good friend. I hope that if someone gives this book a read, they will find that they enjoy the characters and want to know more about them. I hope that I've made them stand out and that I've put them in rather unique situations. As a reader, that's all I ask from a story. From the limited feedback that I've received so far, I believe that I've done that, but the final verdict will have to rest with the readers.
Psimi789

Postby admin » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:29 am

If that's the case, then you don't want to begin your sales pitch with a statement that your characters were (or seemed to be) ordinary people. You want to say something that interests the reader in the character.

Ursula K. LeGuin is very good at that. In the most recent book I read by her, Powers, in the first chapter she introduces more than a dozen characters, and each one is a distinct individual. That's a virtuoso performance, but if you want readers to care about your characters, you should be able to introduce at least one memorable character when talking about your book -- something to make the reader want to read it. The problem you face is that there are at least several hundred people, more likely a thousand, trying to sell fantasy trilogies that, going from what you wrote here, sound just like yours. Jordan came along at the right time, before the fantasy glut. The author of Eregon got his foot in the door with a claim to be the youngest professional fantasy writer -- not true, but it worked. What's your selling point?
admin
Site Admin

Postby Psimi789 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:15 pm

I see your point, and, by the way, appreciate your input. My description of the characters as being ordinary was (I had hoped) offset by the next paragraph where I then say that they find out that both they and their parents are anything but ordinary. It was my hope that that statement would interest the reader. In addition, I had hoped that what followed in my brief synopsis would interest the reader as well. It was my hope that by mentioning that the book would follow the growth of these young characters, a reader who likes characterization would be impelled to read the book to find out how the characters grow. Based on your critique, I may not have hit the mark.

You've raised some good points. When one writes something and has become intimately familiar with the story and characters, it sometimes is difficult to see the forest from the trees. That is where forums like this one become so important to me. Not only do I get input, it allows me to respond.

As I said in a previous post, I want to read character driven stories. In writing, I've attempted to make a character driven story that allows the reader to get to know them, both the main characters and supporting cast. I hope that all the characters are interesting and in depth. I believe that they are. Your point about the glut of fantasy novels is well taken. You have given me some food for thought.
Psimi789

Postby Psimi789 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:26 pm

If you want to read an exerpt from the book, you can go to http://books.google.com/books?id=55dhwh ... er#PPP1,M1.

This google page will give you a better flavor of the book.
Psimi789

Postby Psimi789 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:59 am

Got my first review on Amazon. That's pretty exciting. Here it is.

An Exciting Twist on the Classic Theme of Good and Evil, March 29, 2009
By Lauren M. Von Bergen (Fort Walton Beach, FL) - See all my reviews

From the moment I started reading this book, I was sucked in. I was immediately attached to each of the characters, but once the intriguing way they're all connected was revealed, I was entranced. The author wastes no time getting into the action, and he seems to always give just enough detail to let your imagination wander. There were moments I felt like I was living in the world I was reading about. It's such an amazing combination of magic and heroics while still creating completely human characters who have feelings of love, jealousy, fear and anger. You can tell the author has read other fantasy novels and even some comic books, but there always seems to be an interesting twist on recognizable elements. When I finished the book, I passed it on to my 15 year old cousin, and he loved it, too. I can't wait for the sequel!
Psimi789

Return to Writer's Forum