The frustration is killing me

Many of you who visit sfsite are writers or want to be writers. This forum is to share tips about open markets, links to stories you would like critiqued, and any other posts on the subject of writing and selling science fiction.

Moderator: Moderators

The frustration is killing me

Postby Psimi789 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:59 am

The most frustrating aspect of the whole publishing thing is waiting for feedback. Dark Lord Rising is my first book. It came out in December and I am dying to hear from someone (other than friends and family, they all loved it). I think we all write because we have something inside that has to come out, but, come on, don't you want to know what others think? Even if I'm writing junk, I'd like to know.
Psimi789

Re: The frustration is killing me

Postby admin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:20 pm

A writer's lot is not a happy one. You struggle heroically to get your book published, and nobody buys it -- or very few people buy it -- or a few thousand people buy it but fewer buy your second book and even fewer your third. Sadly, that is the plight of most writers.

The current issue of Time Magazine has some heartwarming stories of self published or vanity published books that made it big. But for every book that makes it big, there are thousands that vanish without a trace. Shameless selfpromotion is the only answer. Good luck.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Psimi789 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:09 am

It was a very interesting article. It does give one hope, though as you say, the odds are very long.
Psimi789

Postby PaulDayton » Wed May 26, 2010 9:24 am

I'm starting a thread on the publishing industry, because what I've heard from a rather large group seems to all point to the same thing. Figure most authors would want to know. Should be up in 10 mns
PaulDayton

Return to Writer's Forum