Alternative US history

Many of you who visit sfsite are writers or want to be writers. This forum is to share tips about open markets, links to stories you would like critiqued, and any other posts on the subject of writing and selling science fiction.

Moderator: Moderators

Alternative US history

Postby Brightonian » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:23 am

Had an idea for an alternative history story and was wondering if it's been tried before. Basically, the British suppress the rebellion in the American colonies and install Benedict Arnold as Viceroy. Slavery is abolished in 1835, as it was throughout the Empire in our world. There is no Civil War, hence no demand for large-scale manufacture of small arms, no culture of gun-ownership, no ascendancy of gangsterism, no bitter and enduring rifts between northern and southern states. That's about as far as I've got. Ring any bells?
Brightonian

Re: Alternative US history

Postby admin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:49 am

While I can't give you an author or title, I am fairly sure I've heard of a book in which the US remains a British colony and Benedict Arnold figures in the story (as he naturally would). I suggest a google search on "alternate history" and "Benedict Arnorld" and see what turns up.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Psimi789 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:14 am

Sounds like an interesting subject. I would be anxious to see where you go with it. Sounds like everything turned out very well for America so I would be interested to see what conflict you add to spice things up. Good luck.
Psimi789

Postby bluerequiem » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:37 pm

Off topic, maybe. But The Man in the High Castle is my favorite alternate history story.
bluerequiem

Postby admin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:15 am

Man in a High Castle is a classic. Another is Bring the Jubelee by Ward Moore. Is it just me, or are the older alternative histories better as novels than the newer (post Turtledove) ones?
admin
Site Admin

Return to Writer's Forum